Band 3 Emergency Department Support Officer
Band 3 Emergency Department Support Officer required on a temporary basis based in Royal Victoria Hospital, Belfast
Role: Band 3 Emergency Department Support Officer
Rate of Pay: £8.90
Location: Royal Victoria Hospital, Belfast
Hours: 37.5 per / shift pattern ( Most be available to work weekends and bank holidays)
Duration: At least 3 months
- Provide an effective customer service
- Meet and greet patients on arrival to the Department in a professional and courteous manner and provide any relevant information required
- Answer phones and patient enquiries promptly
- Photocopying of ED notes for admitted patients.
- Ensure that hospital notes are brought to relevant patients and sent back to reception if patient has been discharged.
- Ensure that requests for blood collection are followed up if they haven't been collected (includes checking the chute for bloods which have not been sent).
- Reporting problems with the pneumatic tube to Dispatch.
- Inform the IT dept if any problems with printers or the IT system and reporting any problems as urgent. Follow up until response.
- Take details of patients who arrive by ambulance.
- Get admission forms for patients.
- Maintain notice boards, disposing of out of date or irrelevant material
- Book transport for patients e.g. NIAS, taxi, relatives.
- Track patients on Symphony - change and update locations.
- Follow up blood results, CT results etc
- Ordering of stores - keeping all clerical stock levels up to date and tidy.
- On a monthly basis update staff contact details
- Page specialty teams as requested.
- Monitor ED generic email account for GP referrals on a regular basis and print off and put in patients notes or triage nurse.
- Check and empty shredder on a daily basis.
- Responsible for checking, ordering and replenishing patient information leaflets.
- Tidying nurse's station, filing patient notes, daily log sheets and booking in sheets.
- Filing staff allocation sheets.
- Communicate effectively with patients/relatives/carers respecting confidentiality but ensuring that appropriate information is passed on to nursing staff.
- Provide cover for ED reception / ATTEND/ MIU in time of staff shortages.
- Completion of Symphony disposals where appropriate.
- Ensure that RANC appointment times are sent/given to patients
- Disposing of confidential waste bags.
- Ensure that outpatient referrals are forwarded on as requested by the ED clinician using outlook.
- Ensuring symphony tracking grid is updated at all times including all discharges are taken off in a timely manner and followed up.
- Live admissions, transfers and discharges of patients on PAS
- Registering ED patients on PAS
- 5 G.C.S.E's or equivalent, including English Language (Grades A - C), and 1 years relevant experience
2 years relevant experience.
- Demonstrate ability to work as part of a team, motivate staff and use initiative.
- Ability to communicate effectively.
- Demonstrate the ability to be flexible and adaptable when working in a changing environment.