Grafton Recruitment has been appointed as HSCNI's number 1 recruitment provider for Admin, Clerical and Support Services.
Band 4 Medical Secretary required for Belfast City Hospital
Rate of Pay: £9.83 per hour
Hours: 37.5 hours
Duration: 3- 6 mths with possible extension
- Be responsible for dealing with incoming correspondence via
post, telephone, email and fax, along with general enquiries from
patients, GP's, other hospitals, etc and redirect/action as
appropriate. Urgent referrals / red flag referrals should be brought
to the immediate attention of the Consultant
- To transcribe audio material for all patient related
correspondence generated from outpatient clinics, in patient stay
(including theatre lists and discharge summaries) and the
- To transcribe audio material for all non-patient related
correspondence from Consultant and team.
- Locating of case notes within and outside the department, as
required thereby supporting continuity of patient care.
Compose correspondence on behalf of Consultant and medical
staff relating to patient results, appointments, admissions and
- Compose correspondence in own name e.g. when following up
telephone queries with patients, miscellaneous queries etc.
Keep a day - to - day and admissions diary for Consultant
providing appropriate reminders of schedule, either via electronic
(email) system or paper, and take appropriate action on
- Minute taking as and when required
- To organise follow-up appointments by use of a computerised
system ensuring patients are notified of their appointments within
agreed timescales and arrange transport as necessary
- Be responsible for the effective management of the consultant's
inpatient waiting list / Day case list by ensuring patients are
added to PAS waiting list within the agreed timescales as per
- Provide GP or other health care professionals clinical information
regarding patients, e.g. regarding prescriptions (dosage,
transcribing illegible writing, etc ) and on patient management
from handwritten outpatient notes.
- Work closely with other secretarial staff, sharing the responsibility
of maintaining stationery requirements.
- Organise meetings, courses, seminars, medical students
examinations as required, including the booking of rooms, travel arrangements
- Take responsibility for securing computer equipment and files at
- Liaise with other hospitals and health care professionals and to
synchronise care of patients, e.g. joint operations, joint clinics,
specialised investigations etc.
- To maintain confidentiality at all times.
Use tact and diplomacy when dealing with patients/relatives and
exercise judgement when dealing with patient enquiries.
Inform all relevant departments of Consultants planned
absences, to ensure clinical and surgical commitments are
- To advise junior medical staff in relation to their administration
- To be the central point of contact for the under/post graduate
department in relation to junior medical staff.
Provide information and guidance to medical secretarial students
and new staff with regard to departmental and hospital policies
and procedures, use of office equipment, and ensuring Health &
Safety requirements are met within the working area.
Provide guidance, supervision and delegation of duties, where
appropriate, to medical secretarial Assistants/entry level
secretaries and new staff with regard to computer systems,
medical terminology, and with the checking and correction of
To assist with the recruitment of junior staff to participate in the
induction and training of new medical, secretarial staff within the
department as required.
To be shortlisted for this role all applicants MUST meet the essential criteria and be available to work in Belfast
If you are interested please upload your CV to the link provided, and Angie or Kathy will be in contact to confirm if you have been shortlisted.
PLEASE NOTE THE CLOSING DATE FOR THIS POSITION WILL BE Thursday 11th Oct 2018
This may not matter to you when you're looking for a new opportunity, but we just wanted to tell you a little bit about Grafton. We know that finding the right job can be challenging and we have the tools and resources to help you succeed. An established recruitment agency since 1983, we offer permanent and temporary job solutions to lots of different clients in multiple industry sectors in Northern Ireland and Republic of Ireland.