Grafton Recruitment has been appointed as HSCNI's number 1 recruitment provider for Admin, Clerical and Support Services.
Band 4 Medical Secretary required on a temporary basis based in Antrim
Role: Band 4 Medical Secretary
Rate of Pay: £10.20 per hour
Hours: 37.5 Hours Monday - Friday 9am - 5pm
- Be responsible for dealing with incoming correspondence via post, telephone, email and fax, along with general enquiries from patients, GP's, other hospitals, etc and redirect/action as appropriate. Urgent referrals / red flag referrals should be brought to the immediate attention of the Consultant
- To transcribe audio material for all patient related correspondence generated from outpatient clinics, in patient stay (including theatre lists and discharge summaries) and the resulting queries.
- To transcribe audio material for all non-patient related correspondence from Consultant and team.
- Locating of case notes within and outside the department, as required thereby supporting continuity of patient care.
- Keep a day - to - day and admissions diary for Consultant providing appropriate reminders of schedule, either via electronic (email) system or paper, and take appropriate action on conflicting appointments.
- Minute taking as and when required
- To organise follow-up appointments by use of a computerised system ensuring patients are notified of their appointments within agreed timescales and arrange transport as necessary
- Be responsible for the effective management of the consultant's inpatient waiting list / Day case list by ensuring patients are added to PAS waiting list within the agreed timescales as per IEAP.
- Ensure the smooth running of out-patient clinics, by ensuring that case notes and associated correspondence/investigation results, arrive in adequate time for clinic preparation. Prompt collection and tracking/processing of case notes following out-patient clinics.
- Ensure that results on patient investigations are received and followed as appropriate.
- Provide GP or other health care professionals clinical information regarding patients, e.g. regarding prescriptions (dosage, transcribing illegible writing, etc ) and on patient management from handwritten outpatient notes.
- Use IT skills as applicable to produce reports, lecture text, presentations, research documents, etc for work being undertaken by medical staff (e.g. Powerpoint, spreadsheets) set up and maintain databases.
- Work closely with other secretarial staff, sharing the responsibility of maintaining stationery requirements.
- Organise meetings, courses, seminars, medical students examinations as required, including the booking of rooms, travel arrangements etc
- Liaise with other hospitals and health care professionals and to synchronise care of patients, e.g. joint operations, joint clinics, specialised investigations etc.
- Inform all relevant departments of Consultants planned absences, to ensure clinical and surgical commitments are altered appropriately.
- To advise junior medical staff in relation to their administration commitments.
- To be the central point of contact for the under/post graduate department in relation to junior medical staff.
- Provide information and guidance to medical secretarial students and new staff with regard to departmental and hospital policies and procedures, use of office equipment, and ensuring Health & Safety requirements are met within the working area.
- Provide guidance, supervision and delegation of duties, where appropriate, to medical secretarial Assistants/entry level secretaries and new staff with regard to computer systems, medical terminology, and with the checking and correction of letters.
- Participate in training and induction programmes.
- To assist with the recruitment of junior staff to participate in the induction and training of new medical, secretarial staff within the department as required.
- AMSPAR Medical Secretaries Diploma
- 2 years experience as a medical secretary or team secretary
- 4 GCSE's (Grade A -C) to include English (or equivalent)
- 2 years medical secretary experience in a healthcare setting
- In addition the candidate should have OCR Text Processing (Business Professionals) Level 2 Aware or RSA Stage II Typing/ Word processing (both parts) or equivalent/ One years experience in the use of ICT.
To be shortlisted for this role all applicants MUST meet the essential criteria. If you are interested please upload your CV to the link provided, and Leanne Garrett will be in contact to confirm if you have been shortlisted.
Successful candidates may need to apply for an Access NI Certificate with Grafton Recruitment regardless if you already have a valid certificate. It will be a cost of between £26 - £33 depending on clearance level
This may not matter to you when you're looking for a new opportunity, but we just wanted to tell you a little bit about Grafton. We know that finding the right job can be challenging and we have the tools and resources to help you succeed. An established recruitment agency since 1983, we offer permanent and temporary job solutions to lots of different clients in multiple industry sectors in Northern Ireland and Republic of Ireland.