Our Client, a Large Public Sector Organisation based in Coleraine require a Council Solicitor to join their team.
Role : Council Solicitor x 2
Location : Coleraine
Hours of work : Monday to Friday
Hourly Rate : 1-12 weeks £18.46 12 weeks + £20.71
Main Duties :
Reporting to the Chief Executive with the Senior Solicitor the post holder will operate in a dynamic and changing environment and will be expected to:
- To provide legal advice, guidance and assurance to the Elected Members, Chief Executive, and Council officers on a diverse range of specialist legal disciplines and on all legal matters in relation to Council functions and responsibilities and to ensure Council functions in a legally compliant manner while meeting the needs of the various functions and services that Council is required to deliver.
- To deliver high level innovative solutions to complex legal problems and new legal challenges that arise on a range of diverse subjects, taking into account the resulting impacts on service areas.
- To advise the council and to act on its behalf in relation to legal matters in circumstances where the post holder's legal advice and expertise may have major implications for the council's functioning.
- To provide robust and accurate legal advice at Council and Committee meetings to the Chief Executive, Council Officers and Elected Members. The post holder will monitor, oversee and ensure Council's compliance with Council's Standing Orders and Constitution and will contribute to the development and evolution of standing orders and protocols in collaboration with the Chief Executive, elected members and council officers.
- To engage with and work collaboratively with a wide range of internal and external stakeholders and undertake continuing professional development to ensure that the legal advice and services provided to Council are robust, accurate and up to date.
- To act proactively, using initiative and to implement interventions to protect the Council where necessary and appropriate, thereby protecting the legal position of and enhancing the reputation of the Council.
- To review relevant policies within the post holder's area of expertise, suggesting and monitoring the implementation of change which arises therefrom.
- To be responsible to the Chief Executive and Councillors for Council's compliance with all Local Government and other relevant legislation and to take the lead in developing council's policies to comply with such legislation and to monitor the implementation of these policies.
- To advise and provide guidance to Council's Senior Management Team.
- Ensure that the department complies with all statutory and legislative requirements by adhering to these requirements and working in accordance with good governance and health and safety requirements.
- Ensure that all responsibilities are carried out in a timely and effective manner and that general confidentiality is maintained in all areas relating to the work of the Council.
Full job description available on request.
Essential Criteria :
- Be admitted to the Roll of Solicitors in Northern Ireland and hold a current practicing certificate.
- Have at least eight years post qualification experience.
- Have a minimum of one years' post qualification experience (obtained within the last 3 years) of providing legal advice to a local government authority
- Have a minimum of one years' post qualification experience (obtained within the last 3 years) of providing legal advice in the area of planning law.
- Have proven experience of providing representation of clients before Courts and Tribunals in Northern Ireland.
- A thorough knowledge of public law, planning law and the law relating to Local Government.
- Holder of a post graduate qualification in an area of law related to the Council's functions.
Desirable Criteria :
- Certificate in Advanced Advocacy.
If you are interested and meet all essential criteria please apply via the link.