Grafton Recruitment are working in partnership with the Northern Ireland Civil Service to recruit a temporary Deputy Principal Legal Officer to start ASAP for a duration of 3 - 6 months
Pay rate: 0-12 week's £12.00
13+ week's £19.13
Hours: 37 hours
- At least 2:2 honours degree in law;
- Be a solicitor or barrister entitled to practice in Northern Ireland by the date of appointment.
- Provide assistance to the Legal Advisers, staff and SMT on legal issues, including complex applications for charitable status and consents required under the legislation. This will include consideration of complex constitutions, requiring reference to Trust, Property and Company law.
- Provide internal advice and assist with action against trustees who fail to apply to register or submit information requested by the Commission.
- Advise Monitoring and compliance team on cases of non compliance and assist in them in taking action in cases of breach of trust.
- Manage and respond to Freedom of Information and Data Protection Act enquiries where appropriate.
- Assist with detailed guidance on charity legislation as required.
- Undertake legal research and assist with any appeals on behalf of the Commission in the Charity Tribunal and on appeal work as appropriate.
- Assist with drafting legal content for website and undertaking relevant research.
- Assist legal advisers in instructing Counsel on behalf of the Commission if required.
- Assist in the development of an internal legal manual specifying processes and procedures for work under the charities legislation.
- Keep abreast of charity case law and relevant developments.
- Create and maintain IT based databases and paper records of internal and external legal referral responses and legal issues and precedents.
- Maintain electronic filing systems and records accurately and in a timely manner.
- Assist in developing and maintaining good working relationships with internal and external stakeholders by dealing with queries efficiently and to a high customer service standard.
- Carry out specified project work under the guidance of senior colleagues to support the achievement of project aims.
- Comply with Data Protection, Freedom of Information and the Commission's requirements relating to documentation and record keeping.
- Ability to work flexibly across teams and a range of areas.
- Ability to manage own workload and work simultaneously on range of complex tasks.
- Ability to competently use a variety of IT packages including word, outlook and excel.
- Undertake other ad-hoc duties as may be reasonably required and requested by the Commission.
Successful applicants will be required to undertake an Access NI Disclosure check at a cost of £26/£33. A person's criminal record will not, in itself, debar that person from being appointed to this post. Any information given will be treated in the strictest confidence.
To be shortlisted for this role all applicants MUST meet the essential criteria. If you are interested please upload your CV to the link provided, Shauna McGrath will be in touch to confirm if you have been shortlisted.
**PLEASE NOTE THIS ROLE MAY BE FILLED VERY QUICKLY BUT WE WILL KEEP YOUR DETAILS ON FILE FOR ANY FUTURE ROLES THAT COME THROUGH THAT YOU MAY BE INTERESTED IN**
This may not matter to you when you're looking for a new opportunity, but we just wanted to tell you a little bit about Grafton. We know that finding the right job can be challenging and we have the tools and resources to help you succeed. An established recruitment agency since 1983, we offer permanent and temporary job solutions to lots of different clients in multiple industry sectors in Northern Ireland and Republic of Ireland