The Design Engineer is responsible for developing cost effective building envelope designs from concept through all levels of approval to finished working designs.
Main duties and tasks:
- Review Groups client's requirements and develop value engineered conceptual designs under the direction of the Technical Manager.
- Develop conceptual designs into working approved designs for the entire building envelope.
- Feed into the creation of efficient full design programs for each project from concept through to installation drawings.
- Ensure your team of subordinates are delivering the required outputs to achieve all target dates committed to in the design program. Where slippage occurs put in place recovery plans within 48 hours to bring the slippage back in line with the original target date and notify all stakeholders.
- Create 3D design models in the agreed format that can be used to create BOM's and STEP Files that can be fed directly to CNC machine centres.
- Review the client's technical specifications document for each job.
- Attend client meeting and provide design input
- Display a strong knowledge of contractual obligations based on the of scope of works.
- Achieve required specification whilst value engineering proposals to the benefit of the project budget.
- Calculate glass requirements and mullion sizes.
- Complete technical and materials submittals.
- Develop a supply chain that will meet the design specification
- Create Material Take Off's
- Create, review and approve Plan, Elevation, Detail, Fabrication, Shop and Installation drawings and Cutting Lists.
- Where required attend site to fulfil design related activities such as on-site measurement, site surveys, 3D surveys etc.
- Attend site meetings to support the project team on design related topics.
- Provide hands on point of operation, design support and instruction to site and manufacturing teams.
- Employ principles of Quality by Design
- Employ principles of Design for Manufacture and Installation to promote and facilitate ease of flow through both processes.
- Maintain an OTIF of 98% for all deliverables from the design department, ensuring design activities undertaken are within budget.
- Ensure processes and systems are robust, repeatable and deliver quality design outputs consistently. Tracking design change and raising variations to commercial team;
- Tracking design and project programme and recording delays in conjunction with the commercial team.
- Work with the Quality department to address design led quality concerns through effective controls and Root Cause analysis.
- Ensure the delivery of department Goals & Objectives as set out by the management team.
- Ensure department practices and documentation are maintained and in line with the companies IMS for Quality, Health & Safety and Environmental.
- Ensure all designs and materials are certified
Min essential skills and qualifications:
- Minimum Design Engineering Degree level qualification.
- Proficiency in a variety of Autocad, Solid Works, Revit, Rhino, Logikal BIM software.
- A minimum of 5 years' experience in an equivalent level role.
- A history of design deliverables for a number of high value projects
- Possess a strong knowledge of a variety of aluminium systems and other façade element materials.
- Demonstrate strong mentoring, leadership and motivational qualities.
- Be Flexible and dynamic in approach in terms of your role and deliverables