Economic Development Officer
Main purpose of post
Provide professional advice, support, guidance and recommendation and carry out all the functions associated with one of the following areas, dependant on the operational requirements of the Economic Development function:
- Development and delivery of responsibilities and statutory transferred functions in respect of economic business start development
- Development and delivery of promotion of existing business growth and development
Main duties and responsibilities
- Manage administration staff ensuring that processes relating to the area of responsibility are discharged correctly and that team members play a full part in the efficient and effective delivery of a professional economic development service for the Borough.
- Support the Directorate in the ongoing development and implementation of the Borough's Integrated Economic Development Strategy and specifically take responsibility for the development of an integrated suite of actions to develop enterprise, entrepreneurship & innovation
Responsible for one of the following areas, depending on the operational requirements of the service:
- Assist the Skills & Entrepreneurship Manager with the effective development and delivery of a portfolio of services, with delivery responsibility for Business Development, to include (but not exclusively):
- Liaise with all relevant stakeholders to establish a future Social Enterprise Model. Develop further engagement with social enterprise sector to explore initiatives. Once agreed, administer the delivery of social economy projects across the Borough, attend site meetings with professional teams and contractors, implementation team meetings with funders, coordinate actions arising, and set up and implement financial control procedures.
- Coordinate Annual Enterprise Week activities .Develop programme of events in conjunction with local Enterprise Agencies, Banks, Social Enterprise NI and Youth Bank/Young Enterprise. Promotion of activities through website and social media and ensuring regional PR coverage.
- Encourage and promote entrepreneurship to those groups currently under-represented in entrepreneurial activity.
- Monitor and evaluate all projects and programmes for all operational areas and refine and redevelop Council's monitoring and evaluation systems to meet the requirements of EU and other Funding Mechanisms including qualitative, quantitative and financial.
- Carry out research, prepare and present reports on specific operational areas as directed by the Skills & Entrepreneurship/Business Growth Manager.
- Research, develop and initiate partnerships with the private, education, voluntary and government sectors under the EU ESF programme and other relevant bodies.
- Engage with National and Regional Statutory, Private and Voluntary Bodies and their agents on all relevant economic development matters within the Borough, actively encourage coordination of effort, common vision and teamwork and, where appropriate, represent the interests of the Council.
- Attend internal and external committees and represent Council as directed on External bodies.
- Deputise for the Skills & Entrepreneurship/Business Growth Manager as and when required.
- Assist with the development and delivery of the Departments Economic Development marketing strategy including the organisation of events as directed.
- Assist in preparation and delivery of Council's best value review on economic development and achievement of performance improvement targets. Develop and clarify appropriate performance indicators for the service, maintain, report and make recommendations accordingly.
- Analyse and evaluate projects submitted and make recommendations to appropriate Council Committee for ratification.
- Assist with the collection and distribution of information relevant to economic development.
- Line management responsibility for the maintenance of appropriate records and statistics, and report on their content.
Applicants must have a degree in relevant subject, e.g. Business or Finance
Must have a minimum of two years' (4 years if you do not have the academic requirement in Criteria 1) experience in an economic/business environment, to include a proven ability in:
- Advising and supporting the development of start-up and existing businesses;
- Developing and managing initiatives to establish existing small businesses and to facilitate their growth and development;
- Advising and supporting the development of Social Enterprises;
- Developing and maintaining effective partnerships with a wide range of stakeholders to ensure successful outcomes for the organisation;
- Experience of developing and implementing Marketing initiatives for Economic Development projects;
- Successful identification of external funding opportunities;
- Financial management, analysis and reporting.
- A comprehensive knowledge of the economic development policy environment and the local, regional and national challenges facing the economy.
Located - Ballymena area
Hours - 37 hours per week
Rate of pay - discussed at interview