Environmental Health Officer
MAIN PURPOSE OF THE JOB
Undertake the inspections of commercial and domestic premises; investigate complaints and accidents, enforce relevant statutory provisions and provide guidance on statutory requirements.
Provide advice and make recommendations to public, commercial and governmental organisations on a disparate range of environmental health and or wellbeing issues.
Contribute to effective liaison and partnership arrangements related to the functions of the department.
MAIN DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Service Delivery
- Carry out the appropriate inspection; investigation; assessment or activity within defined Environmental Health functions. The remit of this post may cover one or more of the service areas below in the first instance
- Subsequent to 1.1, determine in conjunction with the Principal Environmental Health Officer and/or Lead Environmental Health Officer as necessary, appropriate action in accordance with corporate enforcement policies and guidance, relevant legislation, Codes of Practice etc. to ensure compliance with statutory requirements
- Undertake and assist in interviews, including those under PACE, prepare evidence and attend court proceedings as required
- Prepare and serve authorised statutory notices on proprietors, managing directors of commercial and industrial operations, and on members of the public within the Borough.
- Act as an expert witness and provide specialist knowledge/opinion in, for example, court, public inquiries, planning consultations and directly to Elected Members as necessary.
- Prepare premises reports and other correspondence for businesses and for members of the publicin connection with service requests
- Prepare reports on Environmental Health issues at the request of the Environmental Health Manager and/or Principal Environmental Health Officers
- Contribute to both internal and external working groups as directed.
- Develop partnerships with officers of governmental and non-governmental bodies as well as relevant personnel within private/business sector to foster mutual understanding on environmental health issues in order to achieve service delivery targets and to discuss enhanced support and collaboration.
- Scrutinise, process and make appropriate comment on planning, building and other relevant applications from statutory and non-statutory departments.
- Provide knowledge and assistance in formulating responses to government consultation documents on behalf of Council.
- Support the Environmental Health Manager and/or Principal Environmental Health Officers in running environmental awareness/health & wellbeing initiatives, training and campaigns.
- Undertake and assist in the sampling of products and materials and in test purchase exercises, and take/support appropriate action as required.
- Undertake and assist in reactive monitoring associated with complaints and in response to out-of-hours reports related to the service.
- Understand and operate to correct procedures any equipment within relevant service areas.
- Maintain a current awareness of the main issues, developments and legislation relating to the service through relevant training and research.
Applicants must have a degree in Environmental Health and hold membership of the Chartered Institute of Environmental Health.
Be able to demonstrate, by providing personal and specific examples, that they have one years' experience:
- in a local government Environmental Health role,
- in applying knowledge and understanding of current Environmental Health related legislation to determine compliance,
- in successfully enforcing and remedying breaches;
- in forming effective and professional relationships with stakeholders including business owners, statutory agencies and members of the public.