Lecturer in Computing (Programming)
Salary: £33,129 per annum (plus £2,640 Threshold and £1,373 Deane payment if applicable)
Package includes funded PGCE course.
Grafton Specialist Recruitment has been retained to recruit a Lecturer in Computing with a Programming background based in Bangor. (The appointee will be based in a campus to be determined but will be required to be available for work at all College campuses)
At SERC they are passionate about inspiring, transforming and enriching the lives of their students. The standard of teaching at SERC has helped thousands of students join the work force and build the Northern Irish economy.
To become a member of the teaching team in current courses of study and assist with future developments.
Main Duties And Responsibilities
- Deliver and promote training and teach on a range of programmes leading to the award of up to Level 5 qualifications.
- Liaise with Industry to develop courses which match industry needs.
- Fulfil the role of class tutor with administrative and pastoral responsibilities.
- Develop ILT resources appropriate for teaching and learning in the subject area and promote the use of library and resource centres.
- Review and evaluate quality of provision in line with IQ:RS and awarding body requirements
- Assist in delivery of staff development in Computing to college staff / Participate in staff training and development activities to update and enhance own knowledge, skills and professional competence needed to carry out the role effectively.
- Review and evaluate provision to ensure quality assurance in all areas.
- Contribute to and participate in marketing, recruitment, induction and other appropriate events.
- Co-ordinate programmes of study.
- Participate in subject team meetings and in school team meetings, including the leading of team meetings.
- Contribute to the co-ordination and organisation of educational visits and work-based learning
- Contribute to the development of new full-time and part-time engineering related courses throughout the School to meet the needs of the workforce and other relevant stakeholders.
- Liaise with employers, Sector Skills Council and Awarding Bodies
- To mentor students for competitions.
- Complete as required all administrative tasks associated with the post.
- Any other duties as required by the Head of School and Deputy Head of School.
This includes both A (Circular Requirements) and B (College Requirements).
Candidates must meet either Part A or Part B of the Circular Requirements.
- Recognised by the Department of Education for teaching in Further Education in NI as per circular FE01/12 Qualifications required to teach in Institutions of Further Education?
- Hold GCSE English (Grade A-C) / Essential Skills Level 2 (or higher) in Communication; and GCSE Maths (Grade A-C) / Essential Skills Level 2 (or higher) in Numeracy, or NICATS Access Maths Modules;
- Hold a University Degree* in Computing or a discipline with IT
- Hold a qualification in Computing or a discipline with IT which is at least Level 5 on the National Qualification Framework (NQF - revised September 2004) or on the Qualification Credit Framework (QCF) and have 3 years relevant industrial, professional or business experience.
- A Degree obtained at the University in the UK or the Republic of Ireland; or
- A Degree obtained at any other University, provided the Department accepts the standard and content of that degree as equivalent to those stated above; or any qualification deemed by the Department to be equivalent to a university degree
Essential College Requirements
- Demonstrate at least 2 years' experience in at least one of the following areas, in an academic or industrial/professional context;
- Programming in at least one of the following languages:
- Mobile App development
- Demonstrate the ability to prioritise and organise given tasks and objectives
- Demonstrate a proven ability to work effectively as part of a team
- Demonstrate excellent interpersonal and communications skills, both written and oral.
Desirable Assessment Criteria
- Academic or industrial/professional experience in one or more of the following areas:
- Cross Platform app development
- CISCO Certified
The above are minimum criteria.
These may be enhanced at the discretion of the selection panel.