Legal Officer (Deputy Principal)
Temporary (until March 2020)
The Client: Local Government body based in Lurgan, serving the community
Hours of work: Mon to Thu 9am - 5pm, Fri 9am - 4.30pm
- Provide assistance to the legal advisors, staff, committees and the Board of the Commission on legal issues, including complex applications for charitable status and consents required under the legislation. This will include consideration of complex constitutions, requiring reference to Trust, Property and Company law.
- Assist with detailed guidance on charity legislation as required.
- Undertake legal research and assist with any appeals on behalf of the Commission in the Charity Tribunal and on appeal work as appropriate.
- Assist with drafting legal content for website and undertaking relevant research.
- Assist in instructing Counsel on behalf of the Commission if required.
- Assist in the development of an internal legal manual specifying processes and procedures for work under the charities legislation.
- Keep abreast of charity case law and relevant developments.
- Assist in responses to Freedom of Information enquiries where appropriate.
- Create and maintain databases and paper records of internal and external legal referral responses and legal issues and precedents.
- Maintain electronic filing systems and records accurately and in a timely manner.
- Assist in developing and maintaining good working relationships with internal and external stakeholders by dealing with queries efficiently and to a high customer service standard.
- Carry out specified project work under the guidance of senior colleagues to support the achievement of project aims.
- Comply with Data Protection, Freedom of Information and the Commission's requirements relating to documentation and record keeping.
- Entitled to hold a practicing certificate
- 2 years' post qualification experience as a solicitor
- Experience of undertaking research, developing guidance, and providing reports/updates on case law and legislation.
- Experience of preparing briefs and assisting in instructing Counsel.
- Experience of creating and maintaining legal databases.
- Experience of working on corporate governance and regulation.
- Experience of a diverse range of legal matters including litigation and tribunal/court proceedings.
- Experience of Microsoft office programmes.
- Rate of Pay: £12.00 p/hr
- Holiday Entitlement
Why use Grafton? This may not matter to you when you're looking for a new opportunity, but we just wanted to tell you a little bit about Grafton. We know that finding the right job can be challenging and we have the tools and resources to help you succeed. An established recruitment agency since 1983, we offer permanent and temporary job solutions to lots of different clients in multiple industry sectors in Northern Ireland and Republic of Ireland. For further information please apply with your up to date CV by clicking the button.