Our client in the Newtownabbey are looking to recruit a Library Assistant to work 34 hours per week.
The role of he Library Assistant is to assist the Library Co-Ordinator in the efficient and effective operation of the library. To provide support for staff, students and others in the use of a range of information services including the circulation of resources and answering general enquiries.
- To act as a member of the Learning Resources Team
- To promote the vision, mission and core values of the college
- To assist the Library Co-ordinator in the promotion and achievement of a high quality Learning Resources service
- To profile effective communication within Learning Resources, across the department and with all stakeholders, and to implement the strategy laid down by the College Internal Communications Programme
- Provide general support, assistance and advice to users of the Library.
- Supervise students in the study areas to ensure appropriate behaviour whilst being aware of Health and Safety regulations.
- Assist with student inductions and undertake user education.
- Take responsibility for the Library in the absence of the Library Co-ordinator.
- Contribute to and ensure an ethos of high quality customer care and corporate image.
- Arrange loan and return of resources and maintain the stock in the correct order
- Prepare regular displays and promotions in the Library
- Arrange publicising, inspection, photocopying and distribution of Library resources.
- Assist clients with the use of the photocopier, scanner and AV equipment.
- Ensure that Library resources, equipment and premises are maintained in a safe and operable condition and report any faults to the appropriate personnel.
- Facilitate student and staff registration, keeping records as required.
- Maintain statistical records of the usage of the Library.
- Operate booking systems for AV, IT and other equipment and resources.
- Undertake routine financial transactions and observe correct money handling procedures.
- Maintain newspaper and periodical records.
- Provide clerical and administrative support to the Student Services and Marketing Team.
- Support students and staff in using the resources of the library and by answering queries
- Maintain a current collection of newspaper cuttings and topic files relevant to the needs of users.
- Assist students to use business software and learning packages.
- Operate the computerised LMS including cataloguing new stock and the circulation of resources.
- Assist clients to use the on-line library catalogue
- To undertake duties, as appropriate, in support of the wider Support and Development Directorate
The postholder may occasionally be required to work on sites other than the one on which he/she is based.
- A minimum of 4 GCSEs or equivalent @ grades A-C, including English Language and Maths plus a recognised IT/Word Processing qualification.
- 4 GCSEs or equivalent @ Grades A - C including English Language and Maths plus 6 months experience inputting data/word processing.
- Have a minimum of 1 year's experience of working in an office environment within the last 5 years with duties including word processing, inputting data, filing, answering/making telephone calls, handling cash.
- Have a minimum of 6 months' experience of working in an office environment within the last 5 years with duties including filing, answering/making telephone calls plus a recognised IT/ Word Processing qualification.
- Experience of using spreadsheets, databases, email, word processing and internet within the last 5 years
- Proven ability to build and maintain effective relationships with a range of internal and external stakeholders.
- Proven ability to input and process data on IT systems
- Proven ability to extract relevant information from a computer system to assist management with the compilation of various reports.
- Proven track record of working as part of a team
- Proven ability of organisational ability to meet strict deadlines and to achieve agreed department targets.
- Proven ability to collate information and present in appropriate format.