Temporary Litter Warden required for a local government organisation based in Belfast City Centre.
Rate of Pay: £11.19 per hour
Location: Belfast city centre
Hours: 37 hours per week, Monday - Friday (09:00-17:30)
Duration: 2 months pending review
- To have a detailed knowledge and understanding of the litter and waste legislation and the skills necessary to deliver effective enforcement of the legislation
- To undertake the full range of duties in connection with the litter and waste legislation by patrolling the street and public places, detecting offences and issue of a fixed penalty notice, investigating complaints and preparing statements, attendance at court and giving evidence as required
- To have a detailed knowledge of the roles, service and functions undertaken by Cleansing Services as well as other departments who have a role to play in maintaining the cleanliness of the streets
- To liaise with relevant bodies, such as the PSNI, on matters which affect the cleanliness of the streets and Environmental Health Officers regarding public health and health and safety issues
- To carry out all duties and make decisions in a fair and equitable manner, having regard to the Enforcement Policy and any other factors which could affect the ability of an individual/business to comply with the legislation
- To use initiative in the identification and monitoring of litter dumping hotspots and to report the problematic areas to the Enforcement Officer
- To identify fly-posting and graffiti incidents and report them to the Enforcement Officer
- To liaise with the Commercial Waste Marketing Officer, to monitor waste presentation and to give advice to businesses regarding the presence of commercial waste presented in public places
- To participate in any training programmes relating to Litter Warden duties
- To identify and monitor the erection of litter signs and assist the replacement of signs as required
- To identify litter bin provision and monitor litter bin cleaning/empty and report maintenance issues where detected
- To be aware of the anti-litter projects being undertaken by Cleansing Services and to promote the anti-litter message through advice and the dissemination of information
- To assist the Enforcement Officers in the education and enforcement of the provisions of the Waste and Contaminated Land (Northern Ireland) Order 1997
- To use any technology and equipment such as digital cameras, communication systems and information systems, as and when required, that will enhance the post holder's ability to undertake their duties effectively and efficiently
- To ensure all duties are carried out in accordance with the Department's Workplace Health and Safety policies and procedures and report all potential and actual incidents or violence to the Enforcement Officer
- Be able to demonstrate at least one year's experience in dealing with members of the public during litter enforcement, dog control and/or alcohol enforcement
- Be able to demonstrate one year's experience in administration, including producing written reports and maintaining records
- 5 GCSE's Grades A-C including English and Maths or equivalent qualification
If you are interested and available for this position please upload your CV to the link.
Please note that these roles may be filled quickly but your CV will be kept on file for future similar roles.
This may not matter to you when you're looking for a new opportunity, but we just wanted to tell you a little bit about Grafton. We know that finding the right job can be challenging and we have the tools and resources to help you succeed. An established recruitment agency since 1983, we offer permanent and temporary job solutions to lots of different clients in multiple industry sectors in Northern Ireland and Republic of Ireland.