Mechanical Design Engineer
Salary: £25,000 to £35,000 per annum plus benefits.
Grafton Specialist recruitment has been retained to recruit a Mechanical Design Engineer for leading electronics manufacturing company based in Co Antrim. New positions have been created within this dynamic group of businesses as they embark on a period of further growth. This role will operate within the R&D & Operations divisions within the group.
The successful candidate will join a highly skilled, experienced, dedicated team of Design Engineers who are responsible for the development of the most innovative products, rapid prototyping, and continuous problem solving. The candidate will be responsible for delivering cost effective, detailed mechanical design solutions for new products and amendments/enhancements to existing products to agreed technical requirements, timescales and on budget.
The candidates must have broad knowledge of mechanical engineering and be able to identify the best technical and pragmatic solution to complex design problems including dynamic mechanisms and electro-mechanical systems.
- Developing, testing and evaluating theoretical designs, while complying with industry standards and regulations.
- Creating and maintaining bills of materials and working with Purchasing to identify appropriate suppliers.
- Ensuring that products will perform consistently in specified operating environments.
- Identifying and implementing design modifications following prototype test results.
- Evaluating mechanical and electromechanical systems and products by applying principles of mechanics, thermodynamics, hydraulics, heat transfer, and materials.
- Employing product design principles to ensure designs considers the needs of all users * Ensuring mechanical design compliance to customer and quality requirements.
- Selecting mechanical components in line with technical requirements.
- Liaising and providing support to other engineering functions and lab testing including; stress and thermal analysis activities.
- Take part in design reviews, creating specifications and test plans.
- Keeping the Project Manager informed / apprised of work activity/scheduling and work progress.
- The successful candidate will have experience planning own work and working with limited supervision, the ability to write technical proposals and engineering reports and to provide estimates of engineering costs and timescales to support bid and programme activities.
- A minimum 2:1 degree in Mechanical Engineering, or related discipline.
- A minimum of 1 years' experience in a design environment using Solid Edge or similar CAD packages, including creating 2D technical drawings.
- A deep understanding of key engineering principles of material selection, mechanics, fluid dynamics, heat transfer, assembly techniques and manufacturing processes.
- Experience designing mechanical mechanisms, systems and structures.
- Strong technical and problem solving skills and ability to design cost effective solutions from specifications against agreed budget and timescale requirements.
- Experience in Design for Assembly and Design for Manufacturing approaches.
- Have a good appreciation of related engineering disciplines like electronics and control systems.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills, attention to detail and ability to work in multidisciplinary teams.
- A minimum of 2-3 years' experience in a design environment
- Experience working with PDM, PLM, ECO and documentation control systems.
- Working knowledge of FMEA and TQM tools.
- Working experience with Finite Element Analysis and carrying out stress and thermal calculations on static and dynamic structures.
- An appreciation of designing mechanical solutions to meet EMC requirements.
- Experience with plastics design and moulding techniques.
The successful Mechanical Design Engineer will enjoy a competitive starting salary circa 25k to 35k per annum depending on experience
The Grafton Specialist Team is a dedicated division within Grafton Recruitment, focused on providing Permanent, Contract & Temporary staffing solutions across; Construction, Engineering, Accountancy & Finance, Health & Safety, HR, IT, Sales & Marketing, Manufacturing and Procurement.