Museum attendant required for Greenlane Museum based in Limavady
Main Purpose of Post
To be responsible for the organisation, preservation, care and safety of artefacts in the collections' of the museum.
MAIN DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Providing a welcoming and knowledgeable service in the provision of information and guidance to the public on the artefacts on display and heritage of the area.
- Supervision of the museum and assisting with operational running.
- Opening, closing and security of building. Setting alarms when appropriate. Key holding responsibilities.
- Responsibility for all the items and artefacts in the building.
- To ensure preservation of all materials by taking appropriate steps, with respect to temperature, humidity and lighting and to attend to the physical security.
- Assist with the preparation and setting up of exhibition/displays and interpretative material, participation in the organisation and running of events.
- Supervision of the general public/visitors answering queries.
- Ensure Health & Safety requirements are adhered to.
- Some general cleaning duties within the museum will be required.
- Maintaining visitor information displays and children activity area.
- Assist with Documentation of collection
- Maintaining all daily records as instructed including day book, incidence reporting and visitor statistics
- The successful candidate will have to provide their own transportation to and from work.
- Have two months experience dealing with the public in a working environment.
- Good general knowledge of the history of the area.
- Available to work 7 days each fortnight during June - August.
- 3 GCSE's (grades A-C) including English and Maths or equivalent qualifications;
- Experience of working with arts/crafts/museum artefacts.
- 3 months of museum documentation experience
- 3 months administrative or clerical experience using Office package
Temporary seasonal post until 29th September working between the hours of 1pm - 4.45pm Monday - Sunday working on a rota basis 3 days on 2 days off