Main Duties & Responsibilities
- Security of the Premises (including Cafeteria and Kitchen) and its contents.
This will include routine and non-routine opening and closing of the premises and grounds, except in circumstances where the employer authorises another responsible person to do so. The duties will include responsibility for the checking of windows, doors and gates, both internal and external, the operation of fire and burglar alarms, the safe custody of the keys of the premises including keyholder responsibilities. In addition the Building Supervisor will be responsible for reporting to the School Principal or Bursar any instances of unauthorised use of or unauthorised entry to or damage to the premises.
- Liaison with outside agencies regarding:
(a) quality control of contract cleaning/grounds maintenance.
(b) ensuring schedule of maintenance (grounds, plant, general, minor) is carried out to the highest standard and to time.
(c) liaising with other groups using the premises to ensure the safe use of College facilities.
(d) maintaining a schedule of use of College facilities and ensuring rooms are available and equipment ready as necessary.
- lighting and heating of the premises and the routine maintenance and operation of plant as directed including school meals accommodation where there are common services.
- health and safety checks on College premises and equipment on a regular basis.
- the cleaning of the premises except the accommodation used solely for School Meals purposes.
(a) the organisation and direction of the work of the Assistant Caretakers and/or Cleaning Staff employed, it being understood that the Building Supervisor personally undertakes cleaning duties.
(b) responsibility for ensuring that all hard surfaces and paths and ornamental grounds around the property are clean, tidy and free of litter.
(c) responsibility for ensuring that all external surface drains and gullies and kitchen grease-traps within the school complex are free-flowing and clean.
(d) responsibility of ensuring that bin areas and bins within the school complex including school meals accommodation are washed and cleaned.
(e) the preparation of the premises for after-school activities together with the clearing up and cleaning thereafter and the preparation of school for its normal use.
(f) responsibility for ensuring that adequate supplies of cleaning materials and other requisites are requisitioned in good time to the Bursar.
(g) responsibility for ensuring that all defects in caretaking and cleaning equipment are reported promptly to the Bursar.
- receipt and transport of stores and materials and other goods including school meals materials that have been delivered to the school premises and their distribution to and from appropriate points of storage.
- dispatch goods and other materials from the school.
- where part of the school premises are used dually for the consumption of food and educational purposes the Building Supervisor will be required to assist with the setting out and removal of tables and chairs and will be responsible for the cleaning of the room (other staff being responsible for the removal of food debris and litter from the tables and the room).
- Handy person/minor maintenance duties within the competence of the post-holder.
- driving duties as and when required.
- any other duties falling within the purview of the grade or as specified by the Line Manager as and when required.
- Due to the nature of this post the Building Supervisor will be required to work flexibly, which will include late evening and occasional weekend work.
- All duties must be carried out to comply with:
(a) The Health and Safety at Work (NI) Order 1978;
(b) Acts of Parliament, Statutory Instruments and Regulations and other legal requirements;
(c) Code of Practice.
- All duties will be carried out in the working conditions normally inherent in the particular job.
- All necessary paperwork must be completed.
- Duties will be carried out for jobs up to and including those in the same grade, provided such duties are within the competence of the employee.
- Employees will accept any training to facilitate the undertaking of duties for jobs up to and including their own grade.
- Employees will accept training for jobs graded at higher levels than their own. Payment will only be made where there is a requirement by the authority for the higher levels duties to be carried out.
- Any other duties falling within the purview of the grade or as specified by the Line Manager as required.