· Communicates all needs, instructions, and decisions clearly. Adapts the style of communication to meet the needs of the audience. Asks probing questions checking for understanding.
· Works effectively as a team member and helps build relationships within it. Actively helps and supports others to achieve team goals.
· Provides a high level of service to customers. Works out customer needs and priorities and responds promptly and positively to their requirements.
Planning and Organising
· Plans and carries out activities in an orderly and well-structured way. Prioritises tasks, uses time in the best possible way, and works within appropriate policy and procedures.
· Gathers information from a range of sources to understand situations, making sure it is reliable an accurate. Analyses information to identify important issues and problems. Identifies risks and considers alternative courses of action to make good decisions.
Respect for Diversity
· Understands other people's views and takes them into account. Is tactful and diplomatic when dealing with people, treating them with dignity and respect at all times. Understands and is sensitive to social, cultural, and racial differences.
· Takes personal responsibility for own actions and for sorting out issues or problems that arise. Is focused on achieving results to required standards and developing skills and knowledge.
Openness to Change
· Understands the need for change and willing to adapt to it. Is flexible and prepared to try out new ideas.
· Shows reliability and resilience in difficult circumstances. Remains calm and confident, acts in an appropriate way, controls emotions and acts decisively.
The role holder is required to effectively deliver the following key requirements:
· Provide customer service
· Work as part of a team based either in the community, prison or a specialist unit.
· Carry out assessment of offenders
· Prepare pre sentence and pre/post release reports on offenders
· Supervision of offenders placed on probation or subject to licence
· Contribute to the delivery of a range of researched based programmes
· Work in partnership with statutory, voluntary and community organizations
· Represent PBNI at other agency meetings
· Provision and maintenance of community service schemes for offenders
· Maintain standards of professional practice
· Make best use of information technology
· Comply with Health and Safety Legislation
· Promote equality, diversity and Human Rights in working practices
· Maintain standards for security and confidentially of information
Probation Officers work at various locations throughout Northern Ireland, and within the broad categories
of community supervision, services to courts and specialist units.
The PBNI is committed to the provision of a comprehensive and responsive service to the community
and staff will be required to meet flexible patterns of work which will include evening and weekend
working which may involve a contribution to residential programmes.
Hours of work:
09:00 - 17:00. On occasion evening work may be required
Main Duties / Purpose Of Job/Function of Role
As per job description for the job role.
Specific Experience required
As per job description attached including experience in the following specific areas of the post:
Must be a qualified social worker
Must have a valid driving licence and use of a car
Must be registered on part one/part one with conditions of the NISCC (Northern Ireland Social Care Council) before taking up post. If Part 1 with conditions (i.e. subject to the Assessed Year in Employment), candidate requested to provide either:
* NISCC form Summary of Learning/Assessed Year in Employment (Student Transcript) for newly qualified social workers embarking on the AYE
* NISCC form Attachment to Reference - for Staff Changing Employer or Team Within the AYE (Form Ref AYE4)