The role holder is required to display the following competencies in performing their role:
· Communicates all needs, instructions, and decisions clearly. Adapts the style of communication to meet the needs of the audience. Asks probing questions checking for understanding.
· Works effectively as a team member and helps build relationships within it. Actively helps and supports others to achieve team goals.
· Provides a high level of service to customers. Works out customer needs and priorities and responds promptly and positively to their requirements.
Planning and Organising
· Plans and carries out activities in an orderly and well-structured way. Prioritises tasks, uses time in the best possible way, and works within appropriate policy and procedures.
· Gathers information from a range of sources to understand situations, making sure it is reliable an accurate. Analyses information to identify important issues and problems. Identifies risks and considers alternative courses of action to make good decisions.
Respect for Diversity
· Understands other people's views and takes them into account. Is tactful and diplomatic when dealing with people, treating them with dignity and respect at all times. Understands and is sensitive to social, cultural, and racial differences.
· Takes personal responsibility for own actions and for sorting out issues or problems that arise. Is focused on achieving results to required standards and developing skills and knowledge.
Openness to Change
· Understands the need for change and willing to adapt to it. Is flexible and prepared to try out new ideas.
· Shows reliability and resilience in difficult circumstances. Remains calm and confident, acts in an appropriate way, controls emotions and acts decisively.
The role holder is required to effectively deliver the following key requirements:
· Provide customer service
· Work as part of a team based either in the community, prison or a specialist unit.
· Carry out assessment of offenders
· Prepare pre sentence and pre/post release reports on offenders
· Supervision of offenders placed on probation or subject to licence
· Contribute to the delivery of a range of researched based programmes
· Work in partnership with statutory, voluntary and community organizations
· Represent PBNI at other agency meetings
· Provision and maintenance of community service schemes for offenders
· Maintain standards of professional practice
· Make best use of information technology
· Comply with Health and Safety Legislation
· Promote equality, diversity and Human Rights in working practices
· Maintain standards for security and confidentially of information
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- Carry out detailed assessments of offenders (using appropriate assessment tools) including risk assessment in support of pre sentence reports, pre and post release reports in prisons and the reassessment of existing clients.
- Manage a caseload of offenders in the community. Supervise those placed on probation or subject to licence.
- Working with and delivering services to the complete range of offenders and to all sections of the community and individuals within various social groups.
- Contribute to the delivery of high quality researched based programmes. Services may be delivered on a one-to-one basis or through group programmes and activities as appropriate.
- May be required to work as a member of a prison based team providing services during sentence and preparation for release.
- Provision and maintenance of community service schemes for offenders. Ensuring adherence to community service standards.
- Responsibility for community service orders may also form part of a mixed caseload in a local team setting.
- Representation of the PBNI in courts, communities, prisons and other settings.