Grafton Recruitment are working in partnership with a large public sector organisation to recruit for a temporary Solicitor to start ASAP for a duration of approx. 6 weeks with possible extension
Pay rate: £20.71p/h
Location: Belfast City Centre
Hours: 18.5 hours per week Wednesday - Friday
- Be a solicitor entitled to practice in Northern Ireland.
- Possess an academic qualification equivalent to at least Second Class Honours Degree standard.
- Possess practical post qualification experience gained within the last three years, which is relevant to the duties and responsibilities of the post as set out below.
- The ability to draft formal legal documentation in a timely fashion with due attention to detail.
- A dedicated, professional and positive approach to legal work and the ability to build and maintain effective professional working relationships with others.
- Ability to compile reports and letters on complex legal, departmental and inter-departmental issues.
- The ability to assimilate information, to persuade and to influence others at a senior management level on policy and strategic issues in both formal and informal settings.
- Ability to respond to the needs and expectations of both internal and external customers.
Applicants should be able to demonstrate evidence that they possess:
- The ability to operate all aspects of standard office computer programmes such as Microsoft Office based systems
- The ability to operate as an effective team member.
- The ability to plan their own and the work of others.
- A personally creative and innovative approach to all aspects of the work of the post.
- A commitment to change and proactive in implementing the necessary changes in both section methods and personal working practices to achieve organisational goals.
- The knowledge to promote awareness of equality issues and implement equality principles whilst dealing with colleagues and the public.
To be responsible to the Legal Services Manager through an assigned Divisional Solicitor for the provision of legal advice and services in relation to an assigned caseload (primarily Litigation) to the business area and other public bodies to whom the department provides a service.
Main Responsibilities and Duties
- To carry out professional duties as a qualified solicitor in connection with an assigned caseload primarily relating to the matters set out below.
- To take instructions, draft summonses, direct proofs and personally conduct prosecutions in the Magistrates' Courts and appeals in the County Court.
- To undertake and generally advise in relation to the defence of claims for unfair dismissal, sex discrimination, religious discrimination, disability discrimination, race discrimination and other employment matters before Tribunals, including such personal advocacy as may be required.
- To be responsible for the defence of public liability, employer's liability and road traffic claims in the County Court and High Court.
- To advise, draft and institute proceedings in relation to the recovery of debts and to provide advice to Law Clerks.
- To undertake as directed the institution of plaintiff claims arising in contract, property and other civil matters.
- To assist as directed in the defence of judicial review applications.
- To carry out all the foregoing duties in a proactive manner and complying with all relevant time limits and Rules of Court.
- To provide such training on legal matters to officers of the council and other bodies as may be required. To participate in the business area's training programmes and selection and interview procedures, and to undertake continuing legal education as required.
- To deputise for the Divisional Solicitor primarily within the post holders area of functional responsibility.
- To participate, as directed by the Divisional Solicitor, in corporate working groups and project teams.
- To undertake such other duties relevant to the department as may from time to time be required.
To be shortlisted for this role all applicants MUST meet the essential criteria. If you are interested please upload your CV to the link provided and we will be in touch to confirm if you have been shortlisted.
**PLEASE NOTE THIS ROLE MAY BE FILLED VERY QUICKLY BUT WE WILL KEEP YOUR DETAILS ON FILE FOR ANY FUTURE ROLES THAT COME THROUGH THAT YOU MAY BE INTERESTED IN**
This may not matter to you when you're looking for a new opportunity, but we just wanted to tell you a little bit about Grafton. We know that finding the right job can be challenging and we have the tools and resources to help you succeed. An established recruitment agency since 1983, we offer permanent and temporary job solutions to lots of different clients in multiple industry sectors in Northern Ireland and Republic of Ireland.