Temporary Solicitor required for a local government organisation based in Belfast City Centre.
Rate of Pay: £20.71 per hour
Location: Belfast City Centre
Hours: 37 hours per week
Duration: 6 months pending review
- To carry out professional duties as a qualified solicitor in connection with an assigned caseload primarily relating to the matters set out below.
- To generally advise officers of the council in relation to enforcement powers, including conducting PACE interviews, applying for search warrants, drafting summonses, directing proofs and other enforcement matters.
- To personally conduct prosecutions in the Magistrates' Courts and criminal appeals in the County Court.
- To provide accurate and timely advice on matters relating to the functions and exercise of the powers and duties of councils including the interpretation of legislation and the requirements of administrative law to officers of the council and other bodies, and to draft reports and attend before committees in connection therewith as directed.
- To conduct the defence of statutory appeals relating to the exercise of the client
- To generally advise in relation to planning applications, planning policy and other planning related matters.
- To conduct the defence of appeals before the Planning Appeals Commission and represent at Planning Inquiries as directed.
- To assist as directed in the defence of judicial review applications.
- To carry out all the foregoing duties in a proactive manner and complying with all relevant time limits and Rules of Court.
- To provide such training on legal matters to officers and other bodies as may be required.
- To participate in the council's training programmes and selection and interview procedures, and to undertake continuing legal education as required.
- To deputise for the Divisional Solicitor primarily within the post holders area of functional responsibility.
- To participate, as directed by the Divisional Solicitor, in corporate working groups and project teams.
- Be a solicitor entitled to practise in Northern Ireland
- Have a third level qualification in a relevant subject, such as Law or equivalent qualification
- Possess a full, current driving licence which enables them to drive in Northern Ireland and a car available for official business or, have access to a form of transport which enables them to meet the requirements of the post in full
- Applicants must be able to demonstrate at least two years' relevant experience in two of the following areas: conducting personal advocacy in the Magistrates Court; advising, drafting and instituting proceedings in the Magistrates or County Court; interpreting and providing legal advice on legislation and legal proceedings; and/or advising on planning applications, planning policy and other planning related matters.
Applicants should be able to demonstrate evidence that they possess:
- The ability to compile reports and letters on complex legal, departmental and inter-departmental issues
- The ability to make decisions whilst taking into account appropriate legislation and the views of others as part of the analysis needed during the decision making process
- The ability to work with a wide range of internal and external partners and the ability to form, maintain and enhance partnership
- An awareness of the need to enhance and protect the image and profile of the client whilst avoiding actions that may adversely it or its elected members
- The ability, knowledge and judgement to solve legal problems in a systematic and professional manner
If you are interested and available for this position please upload your CV to the link.
Please note that these roles may be filled quickly but your CV will be kept on file for future similar roles.
This may not matter to you when you're looking for a new opportunity, but we just wanted to tell you a little bit about Grafton. We know that finding the right job can be challenging and we have the tools and resources to help you succeed. An established recruitment agency since 1983, we offer permanent and temporary job solutions to lots of different clients in multiple industry sectors in Northern Ireland and Republic of Ireland.