Vehicle and Mobile Plant Mechanic
Our Client - a large Public Sector Organisation require a temporary Vehicle and Mobile Plant Mechanic for a temporary assignment up to 12 months
Location: Co Londonderry
Duration: up to 12 months
Pay rate: £12.47
Key Responsibilities and Duties:
Assessing mechanical issues
- Identifying, advising & carrying out the most appropriate mechanical repairs to vehicles and mobile plant with minimum supervision.
- Assessing bodywork issues
- Identifying, advising & carrying out (where practical) the most appropriate bodywork repairs to vehicles and mobile plant with minimum supervision.
- Complete necessary paper work
- Ensure that all work carried out is recorded correctly and that all hours used and parts fitted are clearly identified for billing.
Ordering of parts
- Ensure that all parts required for each job are clearly identified as soon as possible to enable ordering on a timely basis to minimise downtime.
Carrying out a range of mechanical duties including but not limited to: -
- Servicing, maintaining and repairing vehicles and plant
- Checking steering, ignition, brakes, lights, oil, tyres, etc.
- Diagnosing and repairing electrical and electronic faults.
- Changing engine oil and filters.
- Fitting brake components.
- Fitting exhaust systems.
- Fitting clutches.
- Overhauling engines.
- Testing vehicles and diagnosing faults using diagnostic tools.
- Measuring vehicle performance by using specialised equipment.
- Preparing vehicles for GVC / MOT tests and ensure (if required), that vehicles due for testing are presented to the DVA centre at the pre-arranged date and time.
- Provide supervisor with timely and accurate assessments of work which needs to be done.
- Participate in standby and callout duties to provide an after-hours service for the vehicles and plant maintained by TMG with emphasis on winter gritting activities carried out by Transport NI.
- Use of IT hardware for accessing company information, wage and hours worked data.
- Input of basic data (training will be provided).
- A time-served mechanic with a minimum of 5 GCSEs (or equivalent) at Grade C or above to include English Language and Math.
- Experience working in a busy workshop environment working on light and heavy commercial vehicles and a variety of mobile plant assets.
- Have a good understanding and experience of workshop practices and procedures.
- A full, current driving licence.
- Competence in the use of IT including diagnostic tools and applications.
- Forklift truck licence or willingness to complete required Forklift qualification after taking up the role
- A requirement to participate in an out of hours on-call and standby rota as well as a requirement to work overtime; including weekends and public and privilege holiday and provide cover for others when the need arises.
- Current driving licence with categories C or CE
If interested in this role please upload CV to the link provided and a member of the team will be in touch
Please note the successful candidate will be required to complete a Basic Access NI Check at a cost of £18.00