Veterinarians mainly work in Operational Delivery and are predominantly based in Meat Plants and DAERA Direct Offices to provide a range of professional veterinary services based on clinical and epidemiological judgements and legislation.
The post holder plays a key role in delivering the Veterinary Service Animal Health Group objective to protect the consumer, the public and animals through the application and enforcement of Veterinary Public Health.
Main purpose of post
To lead, manage and direct local VSAHG work in the implementation of:
- Public health
- Animal health & welfare
- Enzootic disease control
- Epizootic disease control
- Zoonotic disease control
- Faciliation of trade
Key objectives of post
- Control and eradicate Enzootic disease
- Promote and maintain acceptable animal welfare standards
- Support public health standards
- Support local and international trade in livestock and products
Main Duties of post
- Carrying out inspections and investigations in connection with animal disease, animal welfare and public health
- Enforcement of legislation in connection with the above
- Supervision and management of field staff
Successful candidates will be required to carry out duties to meet objectives of VSAHG in a variety of locations, for example, slaughterhouses, farms, markets and ports
- A primary degree in Veterinary Medicine / Surgery and be a member of the Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons
- At least one years post qualification experience working in a state veterinary service, in a veterinary practice or other relevant veterinary experience in farm animals or veterinary public health.
All applicants must be willing to complete a Basic Access NI Disclosure