Veterinary Research Officer
Grafton Recruitment are working in partnership with the Northern Ireland Civil Service to recruit a temporary Veterinary Research Officer to start ASAP for a duration of 6 months.
Pay rate: 0-12 week's £15.00
13+ week's £25.38
Location: Belfast BT4
Hours: 9:00AM- 5:00PM 5 days a week (37)
- Have Membership or Fellowship of the Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons (RCVS)
- A general science background would be beneficial
- Experience of working in a laboratory environment would be beneficial
- Effective communication skills
- Ability to work as part of a team
- Ability to work flexible working hours
- Statutory Animal Disease Surveillance
The person appointed will lead and have oversight of the three teams within the unit and play a key role in ensuring the various statutory progammes deliver to customer expectations and agreed targets. He/she will need to be familiar with the various test methods and oversee reporting of results, providing interpretative narrative as required. The serology unit provides a bespoke service to private customers, including private veterinary surgeons, poultry companies, agri-food businesses. The person appointed will be required to maintain good client relationships and seek opportunities to develop this area of income stream further.
- Animal Disease Emergency Response
The unit provides a serology emergency response for major animal diseases such as avian influenza, Avian avulovirus Type 1, swine fever etc. The person appointed will be required to lead the serological component of the AFBI emergency response, providing veterinary and scientific input to the laboratory staff, DAERA epizootics team and industry (if required).
- Management Assisting DCEO in the management of staff and other resources of the unit as required. This may include contributing to the preparation of business plans, staff reporting, management of budgets and where necessary ensuring compliance with health and safety, biocontainment and other relevant legislation.
- Technology Transfer Undertaking technology transfer and representational duties as required. These will include presenting at stakeholder meetings, input into/preparing reports and other publications.
- Veterinary and Scientific Advice The person will be expected to provide expert veterinary and scientific advice on animal disease matters to veterinary practitioners, farmers, industry and government.
- Other Duties Veterinary Research Officers may be required to carry out duties other than those listed above, according to AFBI's business need. They may also be required to present to university or other students, and to carry out duties under the Animal Scientific Procedures Act.The person will be required to travel locally, nationally or internationally in order to perform the duties of the posts. They will also be required to occasionally work outside normal office hours, particularly in relation to animal disease emergency incidents.
Successful applicants will be required to undertake an Access NI Disclosure check at a cost of £18/£33. A person's criminal record will not, in itself, debar that person from being appointed to this post. Any information given will be treated in the strictest confidence.
To be shortlisted for this role all applicants MUST meet the essential criteria. If you are interested please upload your CV to the link provided, Fiona Magee will be in touch to confirm if you have been shortlisted.
**PLEASE NOTE THIS ROLE MAY BE FILLED VERY QUICKLY BUT WE WILL KEEP YOUR DETAILS ON FILE FOR ANY FUTURE ROLES THAT COME THROUGH THAT YOU MAY BE INTERESTED IN**
This may not matter to you when you're looking for a new opportunity, but we just wanted to tell you a little bit about Grafton. We know that finding the right job can be challenging and we have the tools and resources to help you succeed. An established recruitment agency since 1983, we offer permanent and temporary job solutions to lots of different clients in multiple industry sectors in Northern Ireland and Republic of Ireland