Temporary Zookeeper required for a local government organisation based in Belfast City Centre.
Rate of Pay: £10.92 per hour
Hours: 37 hours per week, 8am - 4pm on a rotational basis
Duration: Until 31/03/19
- To be responsible for the general welfare and husbandry of Zoo animals including the cleaning and inherent safety of enclosures, the preparation and storage of animal food and the feeding of animals.
- To supervise and be responsible for the work of volunteers, students, researchers, invited guests or interested parties working, helping and refurbishing etc. all enclosures within the immediate area of animals.
- To train and be trained in all aspects of animal husbandry.
- To keep a varied, detailed and complete record of all animals within a given remit including but not limited to daily report sheets, quarantine records and veterinary records.
- To supervise and be responsible for patrolling the Zoo as required and the direction and diplomatic control of visitors on a daily basis including the use of appropriate measures to deal with unforeseen situations.
- To communicate orally and in writing on a range of Zoo issues to a range of Zoo stakeholders including; veterinary care, the Police Service for Northern Ireland (PSNI), public relations, interest groups, senior managers and at special events.
- To organise, implement, maintain and control many varied interactive, fundraising and hospitality events involving the public and any other interested parties.
- To be responsible for using and maintaining a variety of machinery and equipment.
- To use and apply all appropriate chemicals and related substances in accordance with the manufacturer's guidelines and CoSHH or other relevant health and safety regulations.
- To implement all relevant health and safety policies and procedures including various daily checks; (including dangerous animals, escape and lost children) and acting as a keyholder for all animal enclosures and public areas.
- To liaise with external contractors working in the Zoo over working arrangements, timing and nature of work to be done in and around animal enclosures.
- To carry out minor repairs and maintenance on animal enclosures as required until full remedial or other appropriate action can be taken.
- To maintain the cleanliness and general safety of the areas around animal enclosures through litter picking and associated activities.
- To administer and maintain a working knowledge of appropriate and relevant drugs and medication for the treatment of animals under suitable veterinary guidance.
- To undertake the duties of the post in such a way as to enhance and protect the reputation and public profile of the Zoo
- At least one year one year's relevant zoo keeping experience.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the role of a zookeeper and the role of the modern zoo
- Good inter-personal skills with an awareness of the importance of customer care.
- The ability to supervise and be responsible for the work of volunteers, students, researchers etc.
- Good oral and written communication skills
- The ability to organise, implement, maintain and control day to day animal husbandry.
- Health and safety awareness in regards to an understanding of the health and safety policies and procedures to ensure that such regulations are applied for members of the public, staff and safeguarding of the animals.
If you are interested and available for this position please upload your CV to the link.
Please note that these roles may be filled quickly but your CV will be kept on file for future similar roles.
This may not matter to you when you're looking for a new opportunity, but we just wanted to tell you a little bit about Grafton. We know that finding the right job can be challenging and we have the tools and resources to help you succeed. An established recruitment agency since 1983, we offer permanent and temporary job solutions to lots of different clients in multiple industry sectors in Northern Ireland and Republic of Ireland.