Our client in the Carrickfergus area are looking to recruit a Capital Project Officer to join their team on a full time temporary based until at least April 2018
MAIN PURPOSE OF THE JOB
Responsible for the development of feasibility studies, options appraisals and to produce the required business cases, in line with internal procedures and statutory requirements.
Progress the delivery of the capital projects initiated and developed within the Operations Directorate.
Liaise and act as a conduit between the Operations Directorate and the Capital Projects Delivery Team based within the Finance and Governance Directorate in relation to technical input required for business cases etc and in relation to the delivery of projects.
MAIN DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Progress the development of capital projects identified by Operations Directorate.
- Research and provide advice, design, cost management services and technical support where appropriate.
- Engage with end users and external bodies, where necessary, to ensure the project meets their needs.
- Cost up the various options and prepare the necessary business plan or where necessary appoint, prepare the terms of reference and liaise with procurement to engage external consultants to deliver the necessary Economic Appraisal.
- Assist with the procurement and establishment of service delivery agreements for consultants of all disciplines and assist procurement in the preparation of all appropriate tender and contract documentation.
- Create an overview central database of all projects detailing the key milestones and projected date of completion of business case.
- Lead the development of effective project briefs, in conjunction with project sponsors and project managers, and the co-ordination and integration of the work of the consultants attached to design teams.
- To identify, mitigate and manage all risks and environmental considerations associated with allocated projects in conjunction with the Head of Service.
- To develop relationships and partnerships with key stakeholders to ensure a co-ordinated approach to project management and effective communication between all parties.
- To be responsible for the resolution of problems which arise in relation to project conception and development in a timely manner and to refer to the Head of Service or Service Manager as appropriate.
- Identify synergies and inter dependencies between projects and assisting with the identification of efficiencies, value for money etc across wide projects.
- Produce reports for the Head of Service on the progress of business cases.
- As required, lead on the monitoring and control of quality, time and cost parameters on allocated projects and report thereon as required
- Collate consultant and contractor performance data and record and monitor as key performance indicators.
- Commit to continuous improvement and research and advise on the potential incorporation of relevant best practice.
- Keeping under review new developments and maintain knowledge in both the relevant field of professional expertise and project management generally and making periodic recommendations to the Project Manager for potential improvements in service delivery.
- Undertake the duties in such a way as to enhance and protect the reputation and public profile.
- A minimum of a Degree level qualification
- Be able to demonstrate that they have two years experience ; of successfully developing business cases, terms of reference, feasibility studies and economic appraisals
- Be able to demonstrate they they have 2 years experience ; of successfully managing capital works projects from inception to tender stage
- Be able to demonstrate they they have two years experience; of managing projects to achieve positive outcomes for the organisation
- Practical knowledge of project management software
- Good working knowledge and understanding of procurement and contract law and its application within the NI Public Sector
- Hold a full current driving licence valid in the UK and access to a form of transport