Data Analyst required to work in Newry or Downpatrick. June - October 2016 (but may be extended) 37 hours per week Monday - Friday.
The Data Analyst post is based within the Community Planning section of the Strategic, Planning and Performance Department and will work at a corporate level to address community planning and organisational challenges.
The postholder is required to collect data on a range of topics, including government policy and strategy, analyse and interpret it, making recommendation and reporting on same.
Duties of the post:
- Research and analyse new and emerging trends from a range of data sources to identify implications of EU, UK and regional priorities and strategies for the Client and make recommendations to senior management to ensure local plans and activities reflect these.
- To support and adopt a community planning partnership approach to ensure alignment of activity and policy, towards meeting agreed outcomes for the district.
- To evaluate data from various sources, including key socio-economic datasets and make recommendations to the Assistant Director regarding the sourcing of external support and expertise if required
- Identify the appropriate analytical tools and techniques to promote informed decision making by partners, recognize the main issues in complex problems and clarify understanding.
- Compile and present reasonable conclusions from a wide range of incomplete and complex evidence and data in a manner that is understandable regardless of audience, using appropriate tools and techniques.
- Manage and maintain key data sets in relation to an evidence base(s) to support community planning and other key services such as planning and economic development while maintaining a focus on data quality and integrity to ensure accuracy.
- Undertake research as required and support the preparation and/or assessment of business cases, economic appraisals and applications for funding for consideration by Council and/or Senior Management Team.
- Develop and sustain relationships with both internal and external customers through excellent interpersonal skills so as to understand data needs, promote data sharing and data intelligence analysis and analytical workflows across services.
- Support the identification and development of meaningful metrics to measure performance across services and in relation to community planning and corporate outcomes.
- Assist in developing and implementing action plans and providing detailed management reports for the Thematic Working Groups and Community Planning Partnership Board.
- Assist groups and individuals within the community through the provision of relevant data held in our system and with signposting and advice service.
- Assist in the development of a programme to raise awareness of evidence based planning as part of the community planning process to support service delivery among the staff members from partner organisations and the community.
- Support internal data collation process by liaising with relevant Officers and coordinating upload to the datahub and/or creating a central repository within the Community Planning directory which can be interrogated and shared as necessary.
- Deliver training on the datahub/community planning site/data-patch and any other evidence collated and produced by the Community Planning team, Partners and the Community / Voluntary sector as required.
- Provide training and guidance to stakeholders in order to transfer knowledge and expertise.
- To comply with all the Client's Policies and Procedures including the Employee Code of Conduct and the Employee and Councillor Working Relationship Protocol.
- Carry out duties for all jobs up to and including those in the grade / scale set for this post provided such duties are deemed to be within the area of work.
- Carry out duties in compliance with the Health and Safety at Work Order 1978 (as amended); Acts of Parliament; Statutory Instruments and Regulations and other legal requirements; and all Policies and Procedures including Dignity at Work, Health and Safety, Attendance and all relevant Codes of Conduct.
- Complete all documentation associated with the duties of the post.
- Participate in staff training and development activities to ensure that knowledge, skills and competence required to fulfil the role in full are up to date.
- Undertake all aspects of work respecting confidentiality.
- Have a degree in a mathematical subject such as physics, mathematics, engineering, computer science, finance or economic - Essential Criteria
- At least 6 months previous work experience of undertaking research, collating data, analysing information, identifying issues and making effective recommendations - Essential Criteria
- Demonstrate experience in using a data system and of using the system to produce reports - Essential Criteria
- Knowledge of database validations, constraints, syntax and data types - Essential Criteria
- Be able to demonstrate a high level of technical expertise in defining data models and data mining - Essential Criteria
- Competent in the use of Microsoft office applications including word, spreadsheets and databases - Essential Criteria
- Working knowledge of Community Planning.
- Strong analytical skills with ability to collect, analyse and disseminate large volumes of data with attention to detail, accuracy and data quality.
If you meet all of the above criteria and available for this temporary assignment please submit your cv to firstname.lastname@example.org by Wednesday 22nd June 2016.