Job Title - Engineer in the System Support Team within the Operations Function, Dublin
(11 Month Agency Contract)
Our client is a leading Irish energy business, dedicated to the provision of transmission and market services for the benefit of electricity consumers, committed to delivering high quality services to all customers, including generators, suppliers and consumers, across the high voltage electricity system and via the efficient operation of the wholesale power market. It puts in place the grid infrastructure needed to support competition in energy, to promote economic growth, to facilitate more renewable energy, and to provide essential services.
Our client is the independent electricity Transmission System Operator in Ireland and in Northern Ireland (through its wholly owned subsidiary, SONI). They are also the Market Operator for the wholesale trading system in Ireland. The Single Electricity Market Operator is part of the our clients Group, and operates the Single Electricity Market on the island of Ireland. They also own and operate the East-West Interconnector, a high-voltage HVDC electricity link between Ireland and Great Britain.
Operations, Planning and Innovation (OPI)
The Operations, Planning and Innovation function comprises highly skilled professionals with backgrounds in engineering and business/commerce. The core responsibility of OPI is to manage the operation of the power system ensuring that the lights stay on in a secure, reliable, sustainable and economic way. OPI is also responsible for the long term sustainable development of the transmission system in order to meet the future needs of all users of electricity on the island of Ireland. Creating a culture of continuous improvement that drives technical and process innovation is central to delivering on these roles.
OPI delivers services for all electricity users on the island of Ireland. It seeks to meet the needs of large energy producers and consumers connected directly to the transmission system and all users connected to the transmission system via the distribution system
The System Support Team is responsible for the following:
- Delivering TSO data feeds to the market
- Registration of new units on the power system
- Compilation of the annual Transmission Use of System and Transmission Loss Adjustment Tariffs
- Forecasting, monitoring, influencing and reporting on differences between market running of units and actual dispatch
- Performance Monitoring units against Grid Code and System Services Contracts
- Grid Code Compliance Testing of new and changing units on the system
- Power System Restoration Planning
- Assessment of Derogation requests from Grid Code
- EirGrid Group Business Continuity Plan
- TSO Compliance with Trading and Settlement Code
Reporting to: Manager, System Support
Reporting to the System Support Manager, the Engineer will be responsible for; preparing the weekly imperfections report, preparing the monthly operational constraints report, validating demand side unit application forms, assisting in the management of the Trading and Settlement Code compliance register and assisting other members of the team with the Imperfections Forecast and Imperfections Incentive, in Dublin.
- Analyse and report on Imperfections (DBC).
- Assist in the development, promotion and implementation of operational initiatives to help minimise imperfections costs.
- Assist in the management of Demand Side Management Schemes including STAR and Powersave.
- Provide assistance to other team members in meeting obligations under the Trading and Settlement Code such as the validation of Technical Offer Data and Registration Data.
- Assist in meeting obligations with regards to Renewable Reporting including the Annual Renewable Dispatch Down, Quarterly Wind Dispatch Down, Fuel Mix and Wind Connection reports.
- Respond to customer queries.
- Provide input to the development and review of business processes.
Along with good technical knowledge of the power system, the role requires excellent team working, organisational and communications skills.
This role will provide the successful applicant with the opportunity to enhance their knowledge and skills in an interesting and dynamic environment.
The role will be based in Dublin, however travel to Belfast as part of this role may be required.
- Engineering Degree or equivalent technical qualification.
- 1-2 years relevant experience.
- Good analytical and problem solving abilities.
- A good knowledge of the company's core business and good technical and commercial awareness.
- Good interpersonal and organisational skills.
- Strong oral and written communication skills, with an emphasis on report writing and an ability to communicate technical issues confidently.
- Ability to work effectively as part of a team.
- Ability to produce high quality work within tight deadlines.
- Knowledge of power system operations including generation dispatch and transmission system.
- High level understanding of Single Electricity Market arrangements.
- High level understanding of the I-SEM design.
In Return: An opportunity to work with a progressive and innovative company. Potential to progress into permanent positons.