Our client in the Ballymena area are looking to recruit a full time temporary Environmental Planning Officer to join their team for 3 months with a view to 12 months
MAIN PURPOSE OF THE JOB
Contribute to the Shared Environmental Service, supporting planning functions, by carrying out Habitats Regulations Assessment for development management and development planning.
Support Councils by advising on and carrying out Sustainability Appraisal, Strategic Environmental Assessment and other assessments required to support the preparation of their Local Development Plan (LDP).
Deliver environmental assessment, advice and sustainable development services to other clients.
MAIN DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Service Delivery
- Manage, quality assure and carry out environmental assessment for development management.
- Lead input to Local Development Plans and other plans by researching baseline data and assessing proposals.
- Prepare environmental reports supported by maps and figures.
- Prepare and keep up to date guidance to support the work of the Service and partners.
- Source, manage and keep up to date the data and resources required for the Service to carry out its functions.
- Act as Link Officer for one or more Councils or other clients.
- Support policy and decision-making role by providing timely, professional and objective advice in accordance with Service Level Agreements.
- Represent Shared Environmental Service and Councils on LDP Project Management Groups, attend Council Planning Committees, Independent Examinations, Planning Appeals Hearings or Judicial Reviews where required to provide expert evidence.
- Ensure that the Service complies with all statutory and legislative requirements by adhering to these requirements and working in accordance with good governance requirements.
- Identify and implement improvements to the efficiency and effectiveness of the Service.
- Use IT systems and software (including GIS) to seek, organise, evaluate and communicate information effectively.
- Adhere to and comply with all policies and procedures relevant to this role, including arrangements for risk management.
- Performance Improvement
- Participate in the formulation, implementation and evaluation of the Department Business Plan and relevant Service Plans responding to changing trends and citizen needs.
- Achieve high standards of personal performance, through meeting agreed personal targets and undertaking planned programmes of professional development.
- Examine opportunities to gain efficiencies and improve effectiveness including collaborative partnerships, joint working and other innovative approaches to achieve best value in the use of public money.
- A Degree in a planning or environmental discipline
- At least 1 years experience of environmental assessment and/or environmental management
- A working knowledge of word- processing and integrated software applications including Microsoft Word and Excel
- Hold a full current driving licence within Northern Ireland and access to a form of transport that meets the needs of the post