F/t temp Internal Auditor required for leading Public Sector Organisation based in Lisburn
KEY PURPOSE OF JOB:
The post holder will be required to:
- Provide and develop a high quality Audit, Risk and Governance service to the Council in support of the corporate plan through the provision of an excellent assurance and advisory service.
- Assist the Audit and Risk Manager to ensure the overall aims and objectives of the service are achieved as set out in its Plan by ensuring completion of work to agreed quality, time and budgets targets.
- Provide an objective opinion on the degree to which Council's audit, risk and governance processes support the achievement of the Council's strategy.
- Contribute to the Audit and Risk Strategy and Internal Audit Plan to ensure the governance, risk and internal control processes for the Council are operating effectively.
- Assist in developing and co-ordinating the implementation of the Audit and Risk service, Internal Audit Plan and related internal audit, risk and control frameworks, to include undertaking the annual review of the Council's Governance Framework and Governance Statement.
- To undertake planned and unplanned audits/assignments using appropriate audit techniques as directed by audit management, including:
- Interviewing relevant personnel;
- Challenging and verifying information obtained;
- Drawing conclusions;
- Documenting and reporting findings;
- Recommending and agreeing actions with management;
- To carry out follow-up reviews to determine the extent to which audit recommendations have been implemented.
- To be responsible for the successful completion of designated projects and audit assignments including the prioritisation of time on all projects to meet deadlines with minimum supervision.
- Provide professional and technical advice and guidance on financial / non-financial audit, risk, control and governance matters.
- Responsible for liaising with the External Auditor (Northern Ireland Audit Office) during the course of their audit visits. Attendance at relevant meetings to discuss any audit issues arising and keep management advised of potential issues.
- To maintain and operate professional measures and targets with the audit system to ensure delivery of quality data and reports within time and budget.
- Responsible for liaising with a significant range of community groups, their Treasurers and other senior office bearers. Extensive liaison required with Community Services and finance staff in the Grant delivery process, to include reviewing community services, grant applicants accounts, vouching sample receipts and when necessary re-performing bank reconciliations in order to confirm completeness of book-keeping entries. Making final recommendations for Grant payment to proceed or put on hold until satisfactory resolution of outstanding issue.
- Review and advise on relevant Council policies, procedures and systems as required.
- Prepare and present reports and statistical returns to relevant Council departments, external bodies and Council Committees.
- Ensure compliance with Council policies and procedures and operate within the highest standards of management and personal behaviour, which reflect the core values and behaviours of the organisation.
- Develop and enhance working relationships with relevant partners and stakeholders to maximise corporate and community planning outcomes and to generate innovation in service delivery.
Assume a range of responsibilities at appropriate level to include the following;
- Provide cover for the other Internal Auditor's and Risk Officer within the unit
- Deputise for Audit and Risk Manager, as required.
Any other duties as assigned by the Chief Executive.
- 3rd level qualifications
- Current membership of the Chartered Institute of Internal Auditors or other relevant body
- 3 years relevant experience in each of the following areas: General Internal Audit, Undertake planned/unplanned audits using appropriate audit techniques, providing professional advice/guidance to management on audit, risk/governance matters
Where applicants do no hold the qualifications must have 6 years of the above experience
- Working knowledge of an IT based audit management package
- Developed analytic and communication skills
Salary £17.33 per hr