Support the Senior Health & Safety Manager in managing, advising and facilitating the Health & Safety function.
The role requires full understanding of current & pending Health & Safety and environmental legislation, and the ability and interpersonal skills to translate this knowledge into creating a safe and healthy operationally compliant environment. Benchmark outputs of success would be full compliance with external audit certification, The Company Health & Safety best practice, zero accidents, employee welfare and appropriate environmental consideration and reporting.
- Advise and assist managers, supervisors and individuals to meet various responsibilities for Health and Safety under relevant legislation.
- Keep up to date with changes in current legislation and to bring to the attention of the Senior H&S Manager any relevant new legislation and proposed changes to be implemented.
- Attend such courses/seminars run by external sources to enable accurate interpretation of legislation to enable implementation within the organisation.
- Assisting in the development and maintenance of a suitable and sufficient H&S system
- Support the Senior H&S Manager in preparing Health and Safety strategies, action plans and oversee the development of internal policies
- Overseeing recommendations arising from such investigations are implemented in the business.
- Participating in the investigation of accidents and near-misses and recommending remedial action to management where appropriate.
- Ensure that all assessments and requirements under legislation are conducted and reviewed at relevant intervals and to maintain records of the same.
- Conduct health and safety inspections and prepare reports of all the company's operations.
- Ensure that HBCP has a SOP (Safe Operating Procedure) for every manufacturing process and RA's (Risk Assessments) are established for these tasks as required under the Management of Health and Safety of Work Regulations. Ensure Managers, Supervisors and Team Leaders have the relevant support and training to carry these out.
- Establishing, monitor and maintain a regular audit review process for all RA's and SOP's
- Carry out or arrange for manual handling assessment as required under the Manual Handling Regulations for all applicable employees.
- Assist Managers, Supervisors and Team Leaders to carry out COSHH assessment for all hazardous substances used on site.
- Ensure the health and safety monitoring and auditing systems are correctly implemented and carried out in a professional manner.
- Ensuring the safety inspections are carried out in the workplace in the presence of safety representatives and other members of management or other persons as may be appropriate.
- Maintaining management of training records to ensure relevant training is delivered and recorded. Identify additional training needs within the Company.
- Ensuring accident reporting is maintained and conducted in line with Company policy, Group requirements and HSE
- Collating, reporting and analysis of data and statistics (e.g. near miss reports, accidents) to Group when required.
- Ensure the Emergency evacuations procedures are tested at regular intervals.
- Ensuring noise surveys are carried out and analysing of results and taking corrective action if necessary.
- Maintaining and monitoring records of inspections by other relevant persons with regard to the standards documentation, for example fire safety, building inspections, electrical inspections.
- Arrange and deliver monthly Health and Safety and quarterly First Aid meetings.
- Oversee and manager potential and ongoing claims.
- To be on call in case of major incident on site.
EDUCATION /QUALIFICATIONS / TRAINING
- Good standard of verbal and written English Language to fulfil the full range of duties required
- Computer literate including proficient in the use of MS Office
- IOSH / NEBOSH (Desirable)
- Degree in Engineering or science based discipline
- Working within a manufacturing/production environment with targets and objectives.
- Working knowledge of accident/incident investigations
- Proven experience producing clear written reports and communicating effectively at all levels
- Experience of working within a high speed manufacturing environment.
- Working independently.
SKILLS AND SPECIALIST KNOWLEDGE
- Working knowledge of current legislation:- Health & Safety at Work Act, COSHH etc
- Worker consultation & involvement
- Environmental, service and recycling targets impacting on health and safety
- PC Literate and proficient in MS Office suite
- Ability to motivate and engage a team to work as a team.
- Analysis and decision making - able to analyse data, making effective decisions in a timely way.
- Able to prioritise own and others workload.
- Ability to motivate people - Persuasive, influential & able to deliver results through others
- Good communication skills - verbal and written
- Capable of building and maintaining good working relationships.
For more information on this position, or to apply, please contact James Manley at Grafton Specialist Recruitment on 02890 32 3333.