Health and Safety (HSEQ) Manager
Through working in partnership with other business leaders - help shape and deliver effective and value-add HSEQ strategies that meet both the operational needs of the business, and the Group's governance and assurance requirements
The HSEQ Manager will partner with the Business Unit Director, their management teams and the HSEQ Director to provide an integrated service in all aspects of HSEQ management. This will involve the development and delivery of strategic plans and objectives that support both operational requirements and the Group's governance and assurance framework for health, safety, environmental and quality management.
What you'll do
The following reflect the main tasks associated with your position and are not intended to be exclusive or exhaustive:
- Provide leadership across the business unit on the development of effective and proactive strategies for managing HSEQ risks, and for improving HSEQ performance.
- Act as a coach and mentor to operational managers on a broad range of HSEQ issues, supporting them in embedding HSEQ policy and process where appropriate.
- Provide leadership support to operational directors in the investigation and resolution of HSEQ accidents and incidents.
- Support the management of operational bids through leading on the development of HSEQ strategies and responses.
- Contribute to the wider strategic, operational, financial and commercial management within the Business unit
- Proactively assess any commercial opportunities for the delivery of fee-earning HSEQ services to existing and potential client groups.
- Engage with other HSEQ professionals in the business to ensure that good and poor HSEQ practice is communicated effectively to encourage continual improvement.
- Work with Business unit directors, Human Resources and the HSEQ Director to develop and implement an effective HSEQ training and competency framework.
- Play an active role in the Company HSEQ Board, contributing to the development of Group HSEQ policy and improvement programmes.
- Provide direction and support for project-based HSEQ personnel, ensuring alignment with BU and Group HSEQ requirements.
In terms of compliance and assurance activities, the HSEQ Manager will be expected to:
- Ensure that appropriate and robust assurance 'systems' are in place across the Business unit, ensuring that they are relevant to operational needs and encourage a consistently high level of governance and performance.
- Support operational management in measuring the effectiveness of HSEQ policy implementation through inspection/audit, the development of appropriate performance measures, and by contributing to the monthly HSEQ (and operational) reporting cycle.
- Provide intelligence to the business on existing / emerging HSEQ legal requirements and sector/client-specific 'standards'.
In addition to the above criteria the candidate should display the following key competencies which are essential for the role:
- Commercially aware with a breadth of experience as a HSEQ generalist
- Can operate as a Manager and influence at a senior level
- Able to quickly establish credibility and maintains positive & productive working relationships with colleagues
- Able to organise and manage self effectively
- Has a high impact as a communicator - verbally, written and in meetings
- Able to build and maintain customer relationships, understands corporate environment and aware of implications of internal and external politics
- Personal drive and commitment towards delivery of results, through others where necessary
- Demonstrates analytical, creative and proactive thinking
- Will need to have the flexibility and mobility to be able to cover a large geographical area.
What you'll bring
As a HSEQ Manager your main skills and experience will include:
- Diploma in Safety Management, or equivalent qualifications/experience
- Chartered status or working towards Chartered status with the Institute of Occupational Safety and Health (CMIOSH).
- Associate member of IEMA (or equivalent qualifications / experience)
- Demonstrable knowledge and experience of HSEQ generalist skills
- Sound working knowledge of HSEQ law, and relevant sector-specific HSEQ standards in relation to civil engineering and the operation of construction plant & equipment.
- Technical Skills & Ability in Generalist HSEQ.
How the Company Reward you:
In return, they offer an attractive salary plus provide a wide selection of lifestyle offers, development and learning programmes, services and support designed to help you manage and balance your work/life priorities.
Core Benefits include:
- Employer Pension Contribution
- Membership of relevant Institutions & Professional Bodies
- Life Assurance
- Health Cash Plans
- Childcare Vouchers
- Cycle to Work Scheme
- Gym Membership
- Company Car/Car Allowance.
For further information or to apply please contact James Manley at Grafton Engineering Recruitment on 02890 323333 or 07977 500956.