Health & Safety (HSEQ) Officer
You will provide support to the HSEQ Manager in delivering effective and value-add HSEQ strategies that meet both the operational needs of the business, and the Group's governance and assurance requirements.
The HSEQ Advisor will support in delivering an integrated service in all aspects of HSEQ management, including supporting the development and delivery of strategic plans and objectives that support both operational requirements and the Group's governance and assurance framework for health, safety, environmental and quality management.
What you'll do
The following reflect the main tasks associated with your position and are not intended to be exclusive or exhaustive:
- Provide input into the development and delivery of effective and proactive strategies for managing HSEQ risks, and for improving HSEQ performance.
- To support the development and delivery of internal/external HSEQ training to operational teams (and other parties, where required) in line with agreed BU and/or Group HSEQ competency programmes.
- Support operational managers and project teams on a broad range of HSEQ issues, helping them to embed HSEQ policy and process where appropriate.
- Provide technical advice to operational teams in the investigation and resolution of HSEQ accidents and incidents.
- Input into the development of operational bids, supporting the bid teams to determine appropriate HSEQ strategies and responses.
- Contribute to the wider strategic, operational, financial and commercial management within the Business unit
- Engage with other HSEQ professionals in the business to ensure that good and poor HSEQ practice is communicated effectively to encourage continual improvement.
- Provide direction and support for project-based HSEQ personnel, ensuring alignment with BU and Group HSEQ requirements.
In terms of compliance and assurance activities, the HSEQ Manager will be expected to:
- Support operational teams in implementing appropriate and robust assurance 'systems' across the Business unit, working with the HSEQ Manager to ensure that they are relevant to operational needs and encourage a consistently high level of governance and performance.
- Support operational teams in measuring the effectiveness of HSEQ policy implementation through inspection/audit, the review of appropriate performance measures, and by contributing to the monthly HSEQ (and operational) reporting cycle.
- Provide intelligence to the business on existing / emerging HSEQ legal requirements and sector/client-specific 'standards'.
In addition to the above criteria the candidate should display the following key competencies which are essential for the role:
- Maintain effectiveness in a variety of roles and job tasks.
- Adhere to company policy and procedures. Seeks approval from correct authority for changes. Strive for consistency.
- Takes actions based on own convictions rather than a desire to please others. Is willing to question the current practices.
- Appreciation of the need for controls and maintenance of control over processes, people and activities. Ensures control of this.
- Ability to prioritise workload and work independently.
- Actively influence the events rather than passively accepting actions.
- Make clear presentation of the ideas and facts and convince others of this point of view. Also to gain agreement or acceptance of the plans.
- Set high work standards for one's self and others within the administration function. This will include a drive and passion for improving standards across the company.
- Resilience - Maintain effectiveness in situations of disappointment or rejection.
- Ability to communicate effectively with colleagues at all levels and with external bodies. Has a high impact as a communicator - verbally, written and in meetings.
- Demonstrates analytical, creative and proactive thinking
- Will need to have the flexibility and mobility to be able to cover a large geographical area
What you'll bring:
As a HSEQ Advisor your main skills and experience will include:
- Qualification in a relevant subject related to construction health and safety management (e.g., NEBOSH Certificate) or equivalent qualifications/experience.
- IOSH member
- Associate member of IEMA (or equivalent qualifications / experience)
- Demonstrable knowledge and experience of HSEQ generalist skills
- Sound working knowledge of HSEQ law, and relevant sector-specific HSEQ standards in relation to construction/building and asset management services
- Technical Skills & Ability in Generalist HSEQ
How You'll be Rewarded:
In return, the Company offer an attractive salary plus provide a wide selection of lifestyle offers, development and learning programmes, services and support designed to help you manage and balance your work/life priorities.
Core Benefits include:
- Employer Pension Contribution
- Membership of relevant Institutions & Professional Bodies
- Life Assurance
- Health Cash Plans
- Childcare Vouchers
- Cycle to Work Scheme
- Gym Membership
- Company Car/Car Allowance
For more information or to apply please contact James Manley at Grafton Engineering Recruitment on 02890 323333 or 07977 500956.