Health Safety & Environmental Manager
BASIC FUNCTION: Responsible for the design, implementation and continuous improvement of all health, safety and environmental activities, ensuring the Company retains accreditation to the relevant standards.
- Develop, implement, monitor and communicate all health, safety and environmental (HSE) policies and procedures, ensuring these meet legal, organizational and customer requirements and conform to the relevant standards (OHSAS 18001, COSHH, ISO14001)
- Maintain records for ISO14001, OHSAS 18001 and third party audits
- Lead all HSE activities
- Coordinate accident and incident investigations and reports, carry out trend/root cause analysis and ensure corrective actions are implemented
- Conduct risk and COSHH assessments, occupational H&S monitoring and environmental impact assessments to ensure compliance with regulations and best practice
- Co-ordinate Permit to Work and Contractor systems, ensuring all relevant documents are up to date
- Develop targets, and monitor and report on HSE performance to management on a regular basis
- Liaise closely with Ryobi Limited Japan on improvement plans, accident details and HSE performance
- Responsible for Company preparations for internal and external HSE audits, and liaising with management to continuously improve the systems
- Emergency preparedness and response: organize and carry out emergency evacuations, organize the provision of suitable fire protection equipment, First Aid and spill response supplies
- Provide information, advice and support to drive a strong HSE culture across the site, develop and deliver HSE training/induction programs and carry out relevant knowledge tests
- Prepare required reports on HSE activities for external bodies, the insurers and management
- Comply with the Company HSE policies and requirements of the relevant Management Systems both in normal and emergency situations
- Develop and implement continuous improvements in HSE procedures and practices
- Participate with team working and information sharing
- Keep abreast of HSE and Energy legislation and advise management of requirements
- Other duties as assigned.
- Educated to degree standard or equivalent in a relevant discipline
- NEBOSH General Certificate
- 3 years' experience in an HSE management role
- Knowledge and experience of dealing with HSE standards, including OHSAS 18001 and ISO14001
- Good working knowledge of HSE legislation
- Previous supervisory experience
- Experience within an engineering/ manufacturing environment
- Knowledge of continuous improvement tools/techniques
- Involvement in the accreditation process for safety and environmental standards.
Skills and Competencies
- Excellent communication, presentation and negotiation skills
- Strong customer focus
- Strong team player with excellent interpersonal skills
- Analytical, problem solving and reporting skills
- Effective organization and planning
- Proactive, results focused, with ability to work on own initiative
- Strong leadership qualities
- Computer Literate
- Demonstrated commitment to continued professional development
- Business acumen and commercial awareness.
For further information or to apply please contact James Manley at Grafton Engineering Recruitment on 07977 500956 or 02890 323333.