Health, Safety and Environmental Officer
BASIC FUNCTION: To support the design, implementation and continuous improvement of all health, safety and environmental systems, ensuring the Company retains accreditation to the relevant standards.
- Support the HSE Manager to develop, implement, monitor and communicate all HSE policies and procedures, ensuring these meet legal, organizational and customer requirements and conform to the relevant standards (OHSAS 18001, COSHH, ISO14001 etc.)
- Support day to day HSE activities, including:
- create, issue and review One Point Task Lessons
- liaise with department managers to create, issue, review and control Risk and COSHH assessments
- co-ordinate Permit to Work and Contractor systems, ensuring all relevant documents are up to date
- maintain and update HSE legislation registers (NI & EC)
- support accident investigations and liaise with department managers to implement controls
- drugs and alcohol testing
- dust, noise, and oil mist monitoring
- document control
- Maintain records for OHSAS 18001, ISO14001 and customer audits
- Conduct internal audits/site inspections, and liaise with external auditors/external bodies in surveillance audits/inspections when needed
- Deliver HSE awareness training and induction programs, participate in visitor plant tours etc.
- Lead/chair the monthly Safety Committee meeting
- Prepare required reports in relation to HSE activities, accident claim reports, lost time accident reporting (HSENI) and RIDDOR reports
- Monitor and report HSE performance data and ensure internal/external communications are actioned
- Support the review, update and control of HSE Manuals, Policies and Procedures
- Compile, review and update Environmental Aspects, Environmental Impacts and Significant Impacts documentation
- Participate in information sharing, team working and continuous improvement programmes
- Practice good housekeeping and safety procedures
- Comply with all Company health, safety, quality and environmental standards
- Other duties as assigned.
- Level 3 qualification in a relevant discipline (e.g. 2 A Level passes, HND, HNC or equivalent)
- NEBOSH General Certificate or working towards.
- Recognised environmental qualification or membership of professional body and Internal Auditor qualification are desirable but not essential.
- Previous experience in a varied role supporting the Health & Safety function
- Experience of OHSAS 18001
- Experience in an engineering/ manufacturing environment
- Experience in designing and delivering HSE training programs
- Previous experience in risk/ COSHH assessments and accident investigation
- Knowledge of ISO 14001 and Environmental Management.
Skills and Competencies
- Excellent communication, presentation and negotiation skills
- Strong team player with excellent interpersonal skills
- Analytical, problem solving and reporting skills
- Planning, organising and time management abilities
- Results focused, with ability to work on own initiative
- Strong leadership qualities
- Attention to detail, accuracy
- IT literate, proficient in MS Office.
For more information or to apply please contact James Manley at Grafton Engineering Recruitment on 02890 323333 or 07977 500956.