Safety, Health & Environment Advisor
Based in the Company's Head Quarters in Belfast, but with weekly travel to the Company's construction sites throughout the UK
(primarily greater London area). 4 Days per week will be in the UK.
SUMMARY OF ROLE
The Safety, Health and Environment Advisor is primarily responsible for co-ordinating and implementing the safety, health and environment aspects of the Company's integrated management system. The post holder will also assist internally with the provision of safety, health and environmental advice and guidance.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Promote a positive health and safety culture throughout the company and supply chain. Contribute to the Company's SHE commitments in the highlighting and promoting best practice.
- Ensure Construction Health & Safety Plans are in place prior to the commencement of the project.
- Monitor and review regular site performance through weekly inspections and audits, including assessment of all Risk Assessments and Method Statements ensuring Company policies and procedures are implemented appropriately. Recording any findings, highlighting any areas for improvement as well as any required modification to existing policies or procedures.
- Assist and participate in the highlighting of health-related risks and training on site, reviewing all high risk operations on site.
- Agree remedial action with site management on any non-conformance and carry out follow up review to ensure the appropriate implementation has taken place.
- Ensure C.O.S.H.H. Registers are maintained on site.
- Advise and when requested assist the Site Management Teams with best practice in the implementation of the Considerate Constructors Scheme.
- Assist monthly health and safety meetings (project specific).
- Assist and participate in the delivery of safety, health and environment toolbox talks and bespoke training on site.
- Ensure full implementation of the Company's Accident Reporting Procedure.
- Liaise with the HSE and represent the Company at relevant external forums.
- Ensure the implications of changes in legislation and environmental, safety management techniques are communicated and implemented throughout the Company and Supply Chain.
- Participate in pre-tender submissions and interviews as required.
- Collate assigned project 'End of Contract Environmental, Health & Safety Files'.
- Liaise with the Safety, Health and Environmental manager on Annual Policy and Management System review.
- Fulfil the role of mentor as and when required.
- Maintain relevant quality and environmental control procedures in accordance with the Company's Integrated Management System.
- Continually develop knowledge of health and safety to enhance the business and fulfil company CPD requirements.
- Undertake all training and development activities as required.
- Attend Industry dinners, functions, seminars etc., as required on behalf of the Company.
- Contribute to the Company's Corporate Social Responsibility initiatives.
- 5 Years'+ experience in a similar role, including the carrying out of Risk Management, Site Inspections and Investigations
- Previous experience in providing information for tender submission
- Experience conducting and presenting training
- Preparing and presenting reports to Management
- Relevant technical knowledge
- Working knowledge of construction methods & techniques
- Educated to Degree level or HNC/D or BTEC in a relevant area or candidates with a substantial amount of industry experience
- CSR Card or CSCS
- NEEBOSH Construction
- Recognised First Aid at Work qualification
- Environmental Awareness
- Project management qualification
- IOSH Status or IIRSM
- NEEBOSH Fire
- Appointed Persons for Cranes
- Temporary Works
- Scaffolding Inspection CISRS accredited course
- BREEAM Awareness
- Ability to carry out an effective training module
- Leadership Skills
- Ability to create and maintain good working relationships
- Excellent organisational skills
- Proven trouble shooting skills
- Ability to manage and motivate workforce at all levels
- Excellent written and oral skills
- Good working knowledge of Microsoft Office Packages
- Good attention to detail
- Good communication skills
- Ability to work effectively as part of a team
- Knowledge of Gateway software package
- Eligibility to work within the UK
- Driving License
- Flexibility to work away from home for periods of time.
For more information on this role or to apply please contact James Manley at Grafton Engineering Recruitment on 07977 500956 or 02890 323333.