Health, Safety and Environmental Manager
World leader in Taste & Nutrition serving the food, beverage and pharmaceutical industries and a leading consumer foods processing and marketing organisation. They supply over 15,000 food, food ingredients and flavour products to customers in more than 140 countries worldwide. This Company prides itself on continuous innovation, technological creativity and business excellence in every area of the business, striving to enhance leadership positions in our consumer foods business and across global food and ingredients markets.
Description and responsibilities:
- Supports Factory Management teams as the primary lead and coordinator for Health, Safety & Environmental activities processes on the designated site, advising management teams on legal requirements, industry best practice, and prevailing group standards.
- Works in conjunction with site management and either UK or regional HSE leads to drive the Safety agenda incorporating training, accident investigation, culture and staff involvement, administration, insurance compliance, setting and improving standards etc, and in accordance with wider employee engagement programmes.
- Drives culture change / reinforcement of good safety cultures - creates the forums and opportunities to involve and communicate.
- Creates/develops standards/performance frameworks both internally and externally for performance assessment and benchmarking (e.g. ISO 18000/ISO14000).
- Coordinates the generation and routine maintenance/review of risk assessment and safe systems of work processes, including statutory inspections/reports, in order to meet legislative requirements and The Company standards, to minimise and continuously reduce unsafe practices and accidents in the workplace. Support the implementation and application alongside management. Maintain appropriate records and documentation.
- Coordinate accident investigation processes, recording and reporting industrial injuries as required by the company, our insurers (including proactive pre claim management processes such as RSA care) and statutory bodies. Support management on due consultations with staff / representatives to minimize reoccurrence including supporting reviews.
- Lead & coordinate EL Claims processes per prevailing Company protocol, acting as the primary contact for our Insurers and loss adjusters.
- Designates and carries out routine Site Health & Safety/Environmental audits to comply with the local site and wider regional requirements.
- Chairs the co-ordination of the activities of the site HSE Committee(s).
- Review, update and maintain Site Health & Safety/Environmental Policy & procedures manuals taking account of industry best practice and any prevailing Company standards (Human Element/Hazardous Processes)
- Coordinate & support required Occupational Health Programmes, supporting and advising management/HR on prevailing Health & Safety concerns and job related impacts.
- Involved in the specification requirement of required PPE for the site to ensure it is fit for purpose
- Represent the site/Company at local, regional or national H&S forums, exhibitions & conferences to obtain and improve safety awareness in the workplace building up appropriate and effective networks both internally and externally.
- Responsible for all activities associated with the co-ordination of the Environmental Management System for the site in line with
- ISO: 14001:2004
- ISO 5001
- The Pollution Prevention & Control Regulations (NI) 2003
- Company H&S Policies & Codes of Practices
- Responsible for all activates associated with maintaining the IPPC licence for the site, to include:
- Accounts admin
- Quarterly site meetings
- Improvement Programme Projects
- Annual Reports
- Supports the site management teams by identifying, leading the actions and reviewing environmental objectives, targets and programmes to demonstrate continual improvement, carrying out environmental compliance audits and maintaining records to demonstrate compliance with environmental legislation and other requirements.
- Supports the site during audits from a SHE perspective.
- Work alongside Site management structures in developing the sites for continued success taking part in projects or project work as required. Contribute to the general management and decision making, and activity of the Site Management teams. To support site wide initiatives and changes, in conjunction with the Factory Managers.
- To undertake specific projects, as a member of the EMEA HSE team including ad-hoc support to other sites.
- Co-ordinate and ensure the provision of information and clear communications to appropriate stakeholders, Factory Manager(s) and EMEA QSHE representatives. Produce reports & presentations as necessary to meet with management requirements.
- To maintain positive and effective working relationships within the factory organisation, and other Company functions and to maintain constructive working relationships with representative bodies (Trade Unions, works councils, safety committees / HSE etc).
- Undertakes training and trains others as identified by management for the proper discharge of duties or future requirements.
- Any other reasonable duties allocated to this post or that of any other that you may hold or as required by management. This list is not exhaustive and is designed to be an outline of the scope of the role.
- Suitable and relevant Health & Safety management qualification (or mix of equivalent experience) Ideally NEBOSH Diploma qualified (or equivalent) with active participation in the IOSH CPD programme.
- Suitably familiar with UK H&S& Environmental Legislation.
- PC literate including being able to work with Microsoft (Excel/Word/Powerpoint) and manufacturing systems at an intermediate level.
- Well-developed communication skills - able to present written and verbal reports that are understood by the target audience. Can communicate with both internal and external contacts and stakeholders at all levels
- At least 2 years, Health & Safety & Environment experience at a supervisory level in a medium sized / multi-site manufacturing or service company (75 employees +) or large organisation operating in fast moving consumer goods markets. Food industry experience would be an advantage.
- Training needs analysis and implementation of training plans
- Preparation and delivery of induction and H&S skills/awareness training.
For more information or to apply to this position please contact James Manley at Grafton Engineering Recruitment on 07977 500956 or 02890 323333.